[SOLVED] Is it worth it to upgrade the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q???

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
I just bought a new rig and I’ve had this monitor for a long time now but I’m not too knowledgeable about new 1440p displays. How does this model hold up in 2021 and is it worth it to upgrade to a new 1440p panel? I know this monitor doesn’t have HDR but I wouldn’t think only that would justify an upgrade. Im looking for a 1440p IPS panel with at least 144hz (if 240 is actually worth it I would consider it). Also a lot of people are getting these ultra wide monitors I don’t get what the hype is about it doesn’t look appealing to me

5800x cpu
RTX 3080 gpu
850W psu
32gb 3200mhz ram
1 Samsung nvme

Solution
How does this model hold up in 2021
what exactly are you looking for?
you've got 1440p, G-Sync, 165Hz IPS.

the only difference you will find in a newer model would be HDR, a faster response time, or possibly a larger display.
if you are happy with the screen size, aren't experiencing any noticeable latency, and aren't desperate for HDR what more are you looking to achieve?
a lot of people are getting these ultra wide monitors I don’t get what the hype is
ultrawide is much better than using multiple small displays.
21:9 offers much better field of view in any modern game.
much better immersion with more of your field of vision filled.
also 32:9 super-ultrawide options available with an extreme curve for surround view.

but...
How does this model hold up in 2021

the only difference you will find in a newer model would be HDR, a faster response time, or possibly a larger display.
if you are happy with the screen size, aren't experiencing any noticeable latency, and aren't desperate for HDR what more are you looking to achieve?
a lot of people are getting these ultra wide monitors I don’t get what the hype is
also 32:9 super-ultrawide options available with an extreme curve for surround view.

but opinions vary.
there's still some out there that would rather game on a tiny 24" or small 27" screen at low resolutions.
and others that would rather sit a foot away from a 55" 4K screen.

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

but opinions vary.
there's still some out there that would rather game on a tiny 24" or small 27" screen at low resolutions.

Funny enough, it seems there are a pretty vocal group of YT folks that are going back towards the smaller screen due to "tired neck".

larsv8

Distinguished
I had the PG279Q, but I upgraded to the LG CX OLED 48

I think this was the only display that was worthy of the upgrade.

Need a while for new cord standards to catch up.

Until 4k 240 hz, and 8k 120hz become achievable (Along with GPUs that can handle that), the PG279Q is baller.

Reactions: alexbeast

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

but opinions vary.
I guess you're right I just thought maybe there was new tech to make 1440p displays better in some way that im not aware of I think im just gonna hold off and wait to see what comes down the pipeline

Jul 27, 2021
The ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q is indeed a very good monitor in terms of multimedia use. The high resolution, 100% SRGB color space coverage and good color rendering ensure a compelling experience.

Jul 27, 2021
The ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q is indeed a very good monitor in terms of multimedia use. The high resolution, 100% SRGB color space coverage, and good color rendering ensure a compelling experience.

Reactions: alexbeast