Is it worth it to upgrade to a GTX770? or should I just wait and build a new computer entirely?

ProdigyInspired

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Hi,

I built my computer around 2012 with these specs
GPU - GTX560Ti
Fans - Hyper212 Evo and Noctua NF-F12.
Motherboard - Asrock Z77 Extreme4.
CPU - i5 3570k.
along with an old Sonata III and monitor.

Now, with all these new games coming out, I was thinking of building a new one or just upgrading the GPU, as most of the time when I play games with high graphics I eventually somehow start getting problems.
One of the many examples is the recent FIFA 15, which, runs perfectly framerate-wise, seems to give me some kind of weird bug where my players are black and white and I can't tell which player is on what team. Since I can't find this bug anywhere, except a guy which uses the same video card as me and ended up getting no answers, I came to the conclusion that it may be the time to upgrade, and through further research, a GTX770.
I chose the 770 because my budget is probably <$450-500, and I kind of prefer Geforce cards, you know with drivers and all.

This is where I need your help. Since the 770 was released around mid-last year, do you think that it would be worth it to just get that in order for it to last at least 2 years? Also, if I do decide on getting it, will it bottleneck my computer if I only upgrade that part?
Or, should I just wait for a time and entirely upgrade my computer?

Thanks.

Solution
You should just upgrade the GPU, everything else is just fine and won't bottleneck. I'd actually get the 970, its faster than both 770 and 780 while being at around $340. A SSD would compliment the build with faster overall software performance.

ProdigyInspired

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

970 seems the way to go, however it being cheaper may not be the case.

The cheapest 770 from my trusted stores is $379 from MSY.
The 970 is $419, its a Gainward, from the same store.
Still worth?
I live in Sydney.

ProdigyInspired

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

Actually just found out that the branches in my state don't even have the 970, but on google I can find a few others just for $100 more.

What other cards would you recommend other than the 970? And what brand of 970 do you think is the best? I prefer a quieter video card, but if the loss of performance is too much then I can cope.

ProdigyInspired

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

Seems to be one of the more expensive choices, is there much of a difference between the 970s?

Seems right I guess, will consider the 770 if I can't find any suitable 970s.

I found a Galaxy 970 for approx 450, and EVGA 970 for approx 470, making these the cheapest of the bunch.

I'm just gonna leave this here for reference:

Galaxy 970 (ExtremeOC) $449 -> EVGA (SOC) $469 -> MSI $520 -> Gigabyte $520 -> ASUS (Strix) $550.

ProdigyInspired

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

Its the PSU that comes with the Sonata III, Antec Earth 500W.

Antec Earthwatts is high quality to begin with. Offers 17A on both 12V lines.

The system with that GPU demands 30A of current. The review on Jhonnyguru (a great reviewer of PSUs) looks promising, with stable and reliable supply of power on high loads. So 30A on 34A Antec EA is fine.

You won't be able to run 770 on it, but 970 looks doable. I wouldn't OC the CPU or GPU before getting a better PSU though.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=35

ProdigyInspired

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

Ok, thanks for your help again Meteor.

I asked before that if there were any major differences between the brands of 970s, are there?

edit: (changed 770s to 970s.)

Well, on paper, no. In real world, there are four major brands (IMO) for Nvidia cards: EVGA, Asus, MSI, GB.
EVGA's 970 is noisy and the desgin looks faulty, so its out of competition. However, the newer ACX 2.0 cooler which's yet to release from EVGA looks promising.
Asus is good at everything, but not better than MSI and GB at anything particular.
MSI is the most silent and has most OCIng potential, a wonder card IMO.
GB is the all round card, excellent cooling, quiet, powerful, with backplate for looks, but very long, might require to remove drive bays.
So MSI will be my choice here, awesome card. But all the 3 mentioned are great cards and you can go with the one you find cheaper :)

ProdigyInspired

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

You say that ASUS and GB are the balanced cards, however you chose MSI, is this because I said I preferred a quiet video card? and although MSI has high OCing potential, I don't see myself OCing my cards anyway.

Since Asus and GB have similar descriptions (all-rounders), which one would be better in general? I do prefer a quieter card but I wouldn't want a loss in performance for that sacrifice.

PS: This discussion seems to be continuing, thanks again Meteor for your help.

Out of the box, all 3 are similar. If you're not going to OC, get the one you find cheapest. All the cards are comparitively quieter than 770s or other cards of their range. G1 in my opinion, is the best card as it has the highest clock out of the box, plus its silent and very cool too. But again, all 3 are great, depends on how varied the prices are.
Actually, to be clear, MSI is also an all rounder, besdies being the quietest and best OCer.
You won't OC, and all 3 are quiet cards. G1 is best bang for the buck (unless its really more expensive than other 2) as it may provide you with a couple more FPS.

ProdigyInspired

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

G1 is Gigabyte correct? And would you trust Galaxy? Because they are the cheapest non-reference 970s being at $420.

G1 is GigaByte yes. I'd stay away from Galaxy/ PNY/ Zotac for high end cards, even if they offer an attractive price, but that can be just me. I'm sure that either of G1/ Strix (Asus)/ MSI would yield you awesome results without any issues, not so sure with the other brands though.