[SOLVED] Is it worth it to upgrade whole system from Intel to AMD?

sashabcro

Commendable
May 29, 2020
I'm having in my work rig Intel i7-8086K and was thinking to upgrade whole system with Ryzen 3900X. I'm using this PC just for Unreal Engine 4 3D game development, which means a lot of rendering and builds. Since upgrade will cost me a lot, my question is, is this worth it? Will I see any huge differences in this or should I just invest more in another M.2 and more RAM? Also GPU is RTX 2070 Super. Thank you.

Solution
As far as I know, Unreal is all about the thread count. Playing the game might be single core speed, but not when doing all the rendering and compiling with light sources etc. Whether that time saved will be worth the money is something only you can really decide, but cinebench r15 the 3900x has over double the 8086k score and considerably faster multicore speeds.

8086k is 6/12 vrs 3900x 12/24. Doubt it's a sideways move much.
From that 12 threaded intel??

Absolutely not worth the cost and/or time and effort.
Its a virtual sideways upgrade in reality, what you gain in threads is ultimately lost in clock speeds/single core strength.

Best case scenario is a 10% improvement, in some cases it may be worse.

Reactions: sashabcro

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
As far as I know, Unreal is all about the thread count. Playing the game might be single core speed, but not when doing all the rendering and compiling with light sources etc. Whether that time saved will be worth the money is something only you can really decide, but cinebench r15 the 3900x has over double the 8086k score and considerably faster multicore speeds.

Reactions: sashabcro
Solution

I dunno, back in the day (meaning 2 or 3 years ago) the first gen ryzen 7s were completely obliterated by the 7700k, apart from actually compiling, similar scenario there with half the threads.

I know the ryzen 3 series are much improved but I wouldn't be surprised if the results are fairly similar.

Single core performance (indeed any performance upto 6 cores/12 threads) is virtually identical between the 2 cpus.

I can't find anything upto date of any relevance regarding multithreading on newer versions.