AMD FX 8320 eight core processor @ 2.90ghz
4gb high performance ram
gtx650-e-2gb graphics card
WIFI
DVD r/w
320gb HDD
gaming keyboard and mouse
24 inch led monitor with HDMI .

Trying to buy my son a PC (he's 8, Trying to show him a Rig is better then any console). Don't want nothing spectacular, was offered this for £160 , if my knowledge is right shouldn't the CPU speed be 3.5+? I have seen you give a lot of people great advice before in past.....

Could this be due to a incompatible Motherboard?

If you can help. Is there a Modern Mobo that supports this chip but also DDR4 or only DDR3.

Don't mean to be a knob, just need that second opinion if you get me.

Regards
Joe

Solution
Your Wrong!
Didnt say that RIG was Better then any console. I said i was showing him A Rig is better then any console.....which is proven fact.

I will bite, these proven facts can you list some examples as I have no idea what you are on about. You are saying a pc is better than console so that suggests you are comparing gaming performance, why else would you compare the 2. You have made no mention of other requirements such as maybe needing office applications for homework. For the price of a modern console a gaming pc cannot compete. You won’t find a gaming pc <£500 that for example can play Gears 5 at 4K 120Hz with HDR, a Series X can do this.

As I said earlier a pc can be better for gaming but at the price point of a...
In truth, no, it's really not worth it. It's really not about the "mega hurts" or "just" how many cores there are, not when we're talking about a platform (The FX series AM3+ platform) that was terrible even back when it was brand new, which was 8 years ago.

It's not a terrible price for that configuration, but truthfully if you are doing more than just browsing the web and playing browser type games, both that CPU and that graphics card are going to be very poor examples of how much better PC gaming systems can be than consoles. You would be wise to spend a little more and get something newer. Even a very minimal entry level current gen configuration would likely destroy that somewhat ancient system.

If you already have ANY of the hardware needed, that is compatible, like a drive, or case, or windows license, then it would help. It might not be the worst idea though to start out with that system and plan to have to upgrade the motherboard, CPU, memory and graphics card at some point because the rest of what it comes with might actually be worth the £160 depending on what the monitor model is, case model, power supply model, etc.

Knowing the power supply model should be considered VERY important, since a quality power supply is ultimately pretty ESSENTIAL to any halfway decent gaming machine and a good PSU might likely run between 90-160 dollars US in any case.

The comment “Trying to show him a Rig is better then any console” isn’t correct. For the price of a modern console you are not going to match or beat its gaming performance unless very lucky on the 2nd hand market. Yes a pc can be better for gaming but also when spending more on it.

Nov 13, 2020
In truth, no, it's really not worth it. It's really not about the "mega hurts" or "just" how many cores there are, not when we're talking about a platform (The FX series AM3+ platform) that was terrible even back when it was brand new, which was 8 years ago.

It's not a terrible price for that configuration, but truthfully if you are doing more than just browsing the web and playing browser type games, both that CPU and that graphics card are going to be very poor examples of how much better PC gaming systems can be than consoles. You would be wise to spend a little more and get something newer. Even a very minimal entry level current gen configuration would likely destroy that somewhat ancient system.

If you already have ANY of the hardware needed, that is compatible, like a drive, or case, or windows license, then it would help. It might not be the worst idea though to start out with that system and plan to have to upgrade the motherboard, CPU, memory and graphics card at some point because the rest of what it comes with might actually be worth the £160 depending on what the monitor model is, case model, power supply model, etc.

Knowing the power supply model should be considered VERY important, since a quality power supply is ultimately pretty ESSENTIAL to any halfway decent gaming machine and a good PSU might likely run between 90-160 dollars US in any case.

Thanks for your input, i disagree in some aspects of your reply though. No, its not about cores, what gaming rig needs more then 4 cores unless streaming. Yes GHZ, or as you would explain does matter, if or not the generation of the CPU is dated or not.

For a modern day equivalent Mobo bundle in looking at £220 for mobo ram and cpu alone...(ryzen 3 Pos 5 with less ram) then add Case GPU and extras.......

No , i dont have any other hardware at all. Maybe a few Windows 10 keys hanging about is all.

The comment “Trying to show him a Rig is better then any console” isn’t correct. For the price of a modern console you are not going to match or beat its gaming performance unless very lucky on the 2nd hand market. Yes a pc can be better for gaming but also when spending more on it.

Your Wrong!
Didnt say that RIG was Better then any console. I said i was showing him A Rig is better then any console.....which is proven fact.
"Trying to show him a Rig is better then any console "

This also depends on what games HE wants to play.
If not available in Windows, a PC is less than useful.

Thanks i understand it depends on his gaming preferences.

Understand gents, I hope i don't sound rude when I'm explaining.

My Son wanted a PS5 for Xmas, due to the amount of time me and my other half have taken off because of childcare responsibility . Myself, being a PC over console, suggested building a RIG...to fix a piece of equipment in place.

Respect

Joe

I hope i don't sound rude when I'm explaining.

Well, respectfully, you do. That's ok though I guess, it's just not the approach I'd take when asking advice about something from people with likely decades more experience than I have in the given subject matter. So, since it seems you believe that you know more than we do, all I can say then is good luck, because obviously you don't actually want or need any advice from us.

Nov 13, 2020
Well, respectfully, you do.

Thanks, I was trying to ask about extra advice. Two heads are always better then one, Well i thought so......

with likely decades more experience than I have in the given subject matter

I have 3 NVQS and 2 Diploma's in installing and supporting it systems, the fact that I'm 36 and have been involved with computers since i was was about 13-14 always taught me to get that 2nd opinion.....(Just because your being a D***, ive been a Roofer for 14 years because the office killed my moral)

Repect
Joe

Your Wrong!

I will bite, these proven facts can you list some examples as I have no idea what you are on about. You are saying a pc is better than console so that suggests you are comparing gaming performance, why else would you compare the 2. You have made no mention of other requirements such as maybe needing office applications for homework. For the price of a modern console a gaming pc cannot compete. You won’t find a gaming pc <£500 that for example can play Gears 5 at 4K 120Hz with HDR, a Series X can do this.

As I said earlier a pc can be better for gaming but at the price point of a console the console easily wins in gaming performance. If there are other things you want this system to do apart from gaming then include that in your reasoning for not wanting a console and we can consider that. Your comment is seeming a bit pc master race snobby.

I do want to help but if there are reasons you want a pc over console then let us know so we can consider them in the answer. A blanket statement that pc is better than console doesn’t help us to help you as the 2 things are quite different and it’s not correct. A pc can be better than console for many reasons, but doesn’t mean all PC’s are better at gaming.

Solution