Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roym6

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
is a 6870 worth 40 bucks more than a 460? will i see a noticeable difference in running bf3?
and also would it be bad if i took off the cover on my computer and left it like that? because the cards would not fit with the cover. Would the only drawback be dust? because i would probably clean it with compressed air once a week.
thanks

Solution
The 6870 gives the best stock performance, but it has little headroom for overclocking. Most models have the voltage control locked, and quite often you'll probably only be able to squeeze out an extra 5% performance at best. I have heard of some getting close to 6950 levels, but I think those are ones with unlocked voltage controls, and really high end coolers. Most of those are priced rather high, almost to the point where you might as well get the 6950.

The 460 has better overclocking headroom, and as long as you don't get a model with a really crappy cooler, you can probably overclock it to be a bit faster than the stock 6870. I don't think too many 460s can get OCed up to 6950 levels though. All I can say is buy what you can...
What do you mean the cards won't fit with the cover on? Do you have a slimline case? If so, that means you have a microATX power supply, and virtually none of those will deliver the power needed to run either card you suggest. Please post specs on your power supply, brand, watts, amps on +12V rail.

BF3 is a fairly demanding game, at least compared to many other titles, so you would see noticeably better performance on a 6870 vs. a stock 460, approximately 10 to 15% better. You may be able to overclock the 460 to 6870 performance levels, it would depend on which model you get. Though I would not recommend it if your power supply is barely up to the task of running the card at stock speeds, and you would really have to watch the temps if you are running an open case setup. With an open case you have to really watch out for dust, and airflow is not going to be as good unless you are going to place a fan right next to your computer.

roym6

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
ok so after measuring the space in my case I know that the card will fit and have an extra 3/4 in. all around. I was also planning on getting a 500 w PS.

so the only thing I need to know is which one can give me the best performance stock. I might oc in the future once I have money to replace it in case it breaks.

The 6870 gives the best stock performance, but it has little headroom for overclocking. Most models have the voltage control locked, and quite often you'll probably only be able to squeeze out an extra 5% performance at best. I have heard of some getting close to 6950 levels, but I think those are ones with unlocked voltage controls, and really high end coolers. Most of those are priced rather high, almost to the point where you might as well get the 6950.

The 460 has better overclocking headroom, and as long as you don't get a model with a really crappy cooler, you can probably overclock it to be a bit faster than the stock 6870. I don't think too many 460s can get OCed up to 6950 levels though. All I can say is buy what you can afford. If you want the best performance now, without waiting to be able to afford a replacement card or worrying about overclocking, the 6870 is probably the best bet.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.