[SOLVED] Is it worth making a new PC?

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
I built my comp about 4 years ago,it's not that it runs bad,I'm just wondering how much better I could get it and if I should just make a new one.I really only play a few games that arent intensive,I just wanted to get opinions cause it has been 4 years already and I know tech moves fast.I'll put the build below...(I still feel it's good for me but if it could get more than moderately better I would just like to know).....
ASROCK Z97 EXTREME6/3.1 1150 INTEL Z97 HDMI SATA 6 GB/S USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX MB
Intel 4790K
SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512 GIG
2 OTHER SSD'S believe a 850 and 840
VID CARD-EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
EVGA SUPERNOVA 850 GOLD
KINGSTON HYPERX FURY 8 GIG X4---1600 MGHZ
I overclocked the chip to 4.6 and been stable since i did,I guess I'm asking is it out of date?Can it be A LOT better?Should I wait before i rebuild?...And I understand the question will be "what do you use it for" I only use it for gaming but I have windows up a lot and want it to run other things while not taking away from gameplay......I still don't know if that card and the mobo is being used efficiently.If I am actualy using that and the samsung 950 pro m5 to It's fullest extent. I appreciate the advice.

Solution
There isn't really much you can upgrade anyway.
The i7-4790K is already the fastest processor and I doubt you would see any increase in performance when going from a 1080 to something like a 2080.
What you could do is upgrade to 16 GB RAM, that would help with your multitasking and for newer games that might make use of, but considering it's DDR3 the best option might be something used.
I built my comp about 4 years ago,it's not that it runs bad,I'm just wondering how much better I could get it and if I should just make a new one.I really only play a few games that arent intensive,I just wanted to get opinions cause it has been 4 years already and I know tech moves fast.I'll put the build below...(I still feel it's good for me but if it could get more than moderately better I would just like to know).....
ASROCK Z97 EXTREME6/3.1 1150 INTEL Z97 HDMI SATA 6 GB/S USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX MB
Intel 4790K
SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512 GIG
2 OTHER SSD'S believe a 850 and 840
VID CARD-EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
EVGA SUPERNOVA 850 GOLD
KINGSTON HYPERX FURY 8 GIG X4---1600 MGHZ
I overclocked the chip to 4.6 and been stable since i did,I guess I'm asking is it out of date?Can it be A LOT better?Should I wait before i rebuild?...And I understand the question will be "what do you use it for" I only use it for gaming but I have windows up a lot and want it to run other things while not taking away from gameplay......I still don't know if that card and the mobo is being used efficiently.If I am actualy using that and the samsung 950 pro m5 to It's fullest extent. I appreciate the advice.
Well, if you are satisfied with it now..... Just remember, there are worse "new" systems than that.

Reactions: threebills11
The i7-4790K is already the fastest processor and I doubt you would see any increase in performance when going from a 1080 to something like a 2080.
What you could do is upgrade to 16 GB RAM, that would help with your multitasking and for newer games that might make use of, but considering it's DDR3 the best option might be something used.

Reactions: threebills11
Solution

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
I have 32 gigs of ram,its 4 sticks of 8 gig each but its 1600 mghz,I dont know how much difference better I could get if I had higher mghz also,but I dont think i can even get much more thats compatiable..and would I benefit much from having more speed? and ty,I'm glad that chip is still actually considered a good chip,I happened to get a deal on it when it first came out,for 250 buks brand new at microcenter,I see it sells for a lot more now

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
TY for the replies,I just wanted to make sure I still had something that wasn't antiquated already,even though I'm happy with it,It's not a complaint...It's always stuck in your head that maybe it could be better.

I meant better like a big difference worth spending more cash better

USAFRet

Titan
TY for the replies,I just wanted to make sure I still had something that wasn't antiquated already,even though I'm happy with it,It's not a complaint...It's always stuck in your head that maybe it could be better.

I meant better like a big difference worth spending more cash better
Your system is not much different than mine (specs below).

If it is currently doing what you need it to do, no upgrade needed.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
I really only play a few games that arent intensive,I just wanted to get opinions cause it has been 4 years already and I know tech moves fast.I'll put the build below...(I still feel it's good for me but if it could get more than moderately better I would just like to know).....
Echoing the above, if those are your uses, you're fine :)

What monitor do you use?

If you are on 1080p 60hz, you should consider an upgrade to 1440p high refresh with adaptive sync, which would do more to improve your gaming experience than changing any internal component. The higher resolution would also be useful for productivity type tasks.

Your 1080 would comfortably handle demanding modern titles at 1440p

Monitors have moved on a lot too in the last few years, with a huge proliferation of 1440p 144hz adaptive sync options, at ever lower prices.

I have 32 gigs of ram,its 4 sticks of 8 gig each but its 1600 mghz,I dont know how much difference better I could get if I had higher mghz also,but I dont think i can even get much more thats compatiable..and would I benefit much from having more speed?
Only in a few, very specific titles. And you'd have to be a die-hard fan of those titles for it to be worth the money to replace what you already have.

Reactions: katPHish

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
Echoing the above, if those are your uses, you're fine :)

What monitor do you use?

If you are on 1080p 60hz, you should consider an upgrade to 1440p high refresh with adaptive sync, which would do more to improve your gaming experience than changing any internal component. The higher resolution would also be useful for productivity type tasks.

Your 1080 would comfortably handle demanding modern titles at 1440p

Monitors have moved on a lot too in the last few years, with a huge proliferation of 1440p 144hz adaptive sync options, at ever lower prices.

Only in a few, very specific titles. And you'd have to be a die-hard fan of those titles for it to be worth the money to replace what you already have.
ya,sorry I ddin't mention the monitor,I have an asus pg27v,supposed to be at 144ghz but somtings fraggd with it but didn't think it's gonna make a big diff running that high.I had the pg279q and it worked for a while at 144 hz then I returned it and all they had was the pg27v,It's a good monitor no complaints,except for the fact asus seems to have bugs with their monitors running at 144.I don't feel like returning this one back and waiting another month for it to come back lol.Which monitors do you think are a good deal for the quality?

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
If you already have a 1440p 144hz monitor that you're satisfied with, keep it.

Does it behave with the refresh rate limited to 120hz?
I was wrong,I meant it doesn't work for whatever reason at 165 hz,I checked it in win 10 and set it to 165,i checked it in nvidia setting,and whenever i do the check box on the monitor fpr 165,it resets but never gets checkboxed,i know the card and chip can handle it,i know for sure it sumtin with the monitor as i had this problem with the previous monitor(pg279q) but it IS running at 144 hz(so it says) and its actually 2560x1440,that's why I wasn't worried about he extra 20 hz,I didn't think it would make a huge difference,but it not running at 165 like it should is annoying lol,but things could be worse I guess.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
165hz is technically an overclock - though advertised prominently as a feature of the monitor. Apparently the OC can sometimes cause issues, which is why it's an optional setting, though I'd have expected it to work to some degree instead of just giving you a black screen.

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
165hz is technically an overclock - though advertised prominently as a feature of the monitor. Apparently the OC can sometimes cause issues, which is why it's an optional setting, though I'd have expected it to work to some degree instead of just giving you a black screen.
ya i had the pg279q and it worked fine for about 6 months with the overclock,i sent it back when it stopped,they didnt have anything in stock but the pg27v,and i said"f it" ill take it,165 hz and curved monitor might not be bad,and it was ok for like a week on 165,then just stoppped working again...its still glitched,i think its a firmware issue on the monitor itself..it goes to red/blue/green flashing everytime I turn it on,and always asks for ..i forget the stupid thing causdei always just say yes or no...black light or sumint background?..Its just shot and i dont wanna send it in to wait a month,ill just wait to get anohter monitor..it works well,looks good,so...I just will not buy asus monitors anymore after the 2 problems I had consecutively with them

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
ya i had the pg279q and it worked fine for about 6 months with the overclock,i sent it back when it stopped,they didnt have anything in stock but the pg27v,and i said"f it" ill take it,165 hz and curved monitor might not be bad,and it was ok for like a week on 165,then just stoppped working again...its still glitched,i think its a firmware issue on the monitor itself..it goes to red/blue/green flashing everytime I turn it on,and always asks for ..i forget the stupid thing causdei always just say yes or no...black light or sumint background?..Its just shot and i dont wanna send it in to wait a month,ill just wait to get anohter monitor..it works well,looks good,so...I just will not buy asus monitors anymore after the 2 problems I had consecutively with them
oh and sorry,meant to say..its not a black screen,i checkbox it to go 165,it reboots,then its just unchecked...it just broken...I lokked for all the fixes...I id everything in nvidia control panel,windows,updates/drivers all that...i just live with it now lol,I dont fight the pain anymore hahaha