Is it worth me buying a new GPU? Or should I just start a brand new build?

rihsc102

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
I am wondering if it is worth me buying a new GPU (thinking about Nvidia GTX 970) or should I just start saving for a brand new build as the other components are pretty old? Will my current setup be able to make the most of a GTX 970 for gaming?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H
CPU: i7 875k overclocked to 4ghz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600mhz

Solution
For some games and some multiplayer, your CPU might limit you, but generally, you'll see a great improvement in games if you upgrade.

What is your current GPU?

rihsc102

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015

It's ancient. GTX 460. Haven't gamed on the PC for a few years but looking to get back into it.

ihog

Distinguished
Personally, I would try some new games that you're interested in and see if performance is up to scratch. Then upgrade if you aren't satisfied.

Either way, if you buy the 970, you can still upgrade the other parts later.

Perhaps aim a little lower? A GTX 950/960/AMD R9 380 would all be good cards for your setup.

Even the GTX 950 would show pretty extreme performance jumps over your current GPU

To keep costs down even used cards like the r9 285/7850/ r9 270/7870 or Nvidia gtx 760 or 670 would all be worth it show an amazing boost in gaming performance and likely be 1/3 of the price of the GTX 970.

First off; What are you upgrading FROM?

If the current GPU is quite weak:
Right now I'd start saving, but hold off on any solid plans for a little while.
If you don't already know, Nvidia look to be announcing new cards based on the Pascal architecture, possibly during the Computex show at the end of this month/early May possibly a little earlier, so I'd hold fire, at least until then before you hit the 'add to basket' button.
I'd also hold off on the CPU/MB/RAM upgrade, with such a hefty CPU overclock any restrictions on a GTX970 are going to be fairly small (assuming a 60Hz 1080 display), if your display is of a higher resolution the restriction will be even smaller.
If you're as poor as the rest of us, it'll take a while to save enough for either, so use the time to do as much research as you can, because if you're looking months ahead there's little point in getting a parts list together now, because there's always something better 'just around the corner', in this case, AMD is due to (finally) release its own new cards 'Polaris' in a few months as well!

rihsc102

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015

It's a GTX 460, so it would obviously be a massive upgrade whatever I go for. Display is 1920x1200. Any chance I would be able to run Oculus Rift off this setup if I wait for the next gen cards? Or is that out of the question?

Toms did a review on the Rift recently: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/oculus-rift-virtual-reality-hmd,review-33509.html Plenty of info there including a link in Section 3 to the Rift Compatibility Tool.

Offhand I'd say a GTX970 is going to be a little more than the current CPU can handle at 1080 rez, but that's no problem because you're not going to lose THAT much performance, (not with that big overclock anyway). ;)
With those tasty new Pascal parts so close to release I really can't recommend you get a new card just yet, not with the possibility that you may yet upgrade the CPU/MB/RAM later on, UNLESS you get an EVGA card and can sign up to their 90 day Step Up programme; If you sign up, you can upgrade to another card for the cost difference, so if you bought a '970 for $400 and find Pascal is $500 just contact EVGA to upgrade to Pascal for the $100 difference. AND you don't have to worry about what to do with the '970 because you ship it back to them-just be sure to keep all the bits and pieces it came with. Check VERY carefully this programme applies to your country, I'm not sure if it still applies outside of the USA and Canada.

king3pj

Distinguished

If you are considering doing this upgrade for VR your current setup is well below the minimum specs. The required CPU is listed as an i5-4590. Your CPU would be under that but since it is overclocked so high you might be okay.

The recommended minimum GPU is listed as a GTX 970. I haven't tried VR yet myself but I don't think there is any way the 460 will cut it when it is so far below the minimum.

rihsc102

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015

When I originally asked the question, I wasn't thinking about VR at all. Just normal games. I assumed the answers would be that the GTX 970 was too much for my current system. But when some people were recommending waiting for the next gen GPUs I thought that may mean the current rig could handle VR (with a 970 or next gen GPU).

I think I will just wait a couple of months to see if the new cards are going to release this summer. If they do I can get one then upgrade the rest at a later date.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

rihsc102

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
Just and update, I bought the GTX 970 (good deal on eBay) and it doesn't seem to be bottlenecked at all. My benchmark scores match up (and often beat) GTX 970 scores posted online.