[SOLVED] Is it worth overclocking a 3700x and aNVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 Graphics Card GV-N3070GAMING OC-8GD

Rdgeno

Reputable
Aug 28, 2019
Tomorrow I will have the GPU and I have read in some places that overclocking the 3700x actually lowers performance in some areas and since it's an x series it's already overclocked. The GPU is already overclocked too so I was wondering should I even bother? I had a problem with the 3070 and since ABS doesnt have that one anymore they upgraded me. On my system without overclocking I was already getting between 144fps and 220 on ultra settings in a lot of games. So would it even be worth it to do it? I want to just because I can but if I'm only adding another 10 to 15% with that high of a fps would the difference even be noticable at that point?

Solution
I've heard of undervolting but I've never done it. Can you tell me the best way or a good term to search? Right now my CPU is running between 38c and 42c I have an aftermarket CPU fan and four case fans plus three on the GPU if you want to count that. Or I will tomorrow the one that's in it isnt working. I have a prebuilt Gladiator from ABS no matter where I look for the parts they were 400 dollars cheaper. Now they are sending me the 3070oc so they beat what I could find by a bit. For the one day that 3070 worked my God does it kill the 2070super.
Only thing you may loose by overclocking Ryzen is single core performance unless you can OC it to 4.4GHz on all cores (which is pretty rare), Ryzen achieves highest boost on one core...

Rdgeno

Reputable
Aug 28, 2019
I've heard of undervolting but I've never done it. Can you tell me the best way or a good term to search? Right now my CPU is running between 38c and 42c I have an aftermarket CPU fan and four case fans plus three on the GPU if you want to count that. Or I will tomorrow the one that's in it isnt working. I have a prebuilt Gladiator from ABS no matter where I look for the parts they were 400 dollars cheaper. Now they are sending me the 3070oc so they beat what I could find by a bit. For the one day that 3070 worked my God does it kill the 2070super.

Only thing you may loose by overclocking Ryzen is single core performance unless you can OC it to 4.4GHz on all cores (which is pretty rare), Ryzen achieves highest boost on one core only so setting all cores to less than highest boost (on auto) may produce lower single core performance.
Those temps you are quoting are those under load ?
Typically, Ryzen 3000 series achieves best boost at temps from 65-70c, over that boost gets lower and lower.
For a beginning I would suggest you check what boost speeds you are getting by monitoring it (and temperatures) under stress like with Cinebench r23 and under gaming conditions.
Make sure that boost and PBO are enabled.

Solution
The 3070 will OC its self, as long as it has the power available and the temps stay cool it will keep overclocking. My 2080 ti stock boost is 1755Mhz, in games it will boost to 2130Mhz. Unless your trying for high benchmark scores just let the CPU and GPU do their thing.

Build your system and enjoy it. This obsession with an extra few fps isn't worth the potential damage and headaches cause by it. Most things just have boost modes which oc when needed anyways.

Even if you're playing at 144hz and get 244fps, 100 are still wasted anyways, so is more heat, voltage and wear on your system worth it to get to 266fps and waste 122fps vs wasting 100fps.

Edit. Go for it if you really want to, but like I said, most things just boost with an auto oc now anyways. I just let systems do what they do nowadays.

Last edited:
Worth is something only YOU can determine.

MY thought is to not bother.
You may get lucky on getting a good bin, but, that is unlikely.
Better bins on processors and graphics cards are used in higher performing versions that can sell for more.

The down side is that you might really screw things up if you do not know enough about what you are doing.

Will you notice a difference??
Likely, only in synthetic benchmarks, not in actual usage.

Reactions: getochkn

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Have 3600x + 5700xt and OC from beginning. 6 months now and have had some fun. What I learn is that not a huge amount of headrooms for either cpu or gpu but there are gains you can have. Also learn ryzen can be hot, OC + undervolt ended up being ideal for me on the water cool loop. Left to its own the stock cpu can send some voltage. In some case same for gpu.

CPU I buy is not great sample maybe slightly average at best but I really try get most out of it. Bought before price went crazy with no stock. GPU is liquid devil so already OC but they leave room to try some better numbers. Powercolor makes some nice gpu.

Would suggest if you like the tinker then this maybe for you. There is a little learning involve to understand what going on with settings.