[SOLVED] Is it worth paying extra for R9?

Sep 16, 2020
Hi everyone, I have a question that has bothered me for a long time and I didn't find the answer on YouTube or the forum. It pays to play, easy video editing, some mutlitasking to buy R7 3700X or it is better to pay extra for R9 3900X (3950X) I currently have R5 1600AF

Solution
Though the R9 will definitely work much better if you're editing large videos the 3700X is a great mid-tier chip with great price-performance, so unless you're a major youtuber who puts out hour long videos a 3700X will be just fine to encode and compress 1080p 10-30 minute videos (you can also use your video card to export large videos too). HOWEVER, AMD is releasing their brand new CPU's in less than 2 weeks and that includes the 5700X. If you don't have the motherboard to support it (check the news about your board to see if they offer BIOS upgrade support for the 500 series) then just wait till the new CPU's drop the price of the 3700X or 3900X a little more down.
Hi everyone, I have a question that has bothered me for a long time and I didn't find the answer on YouTube or the forum. It pays to play, easy video editing, some mutlitasking to buy R7 3700X or it is better to pay extra for R9 3900X (3950X) I currently have R5 1600AF
If your video editing is heavily threaded, there's nothing like an R9's cores (except a Threadripper's) to get the job done faster. It won't help much if at all with gaming.

Though the R9 will definitely work much better if you're editing large videos the 3700X is a great mid-tier chip with great price-performance, so unless you're a major youtuber who puts out hour long videos a 3700X will be just fine to encode and compress 1080p 10-30 minute videos (you can also use your video card to export large videos too). HOWEVER, AMD is releasing their brand new CPU's in less than 2 weeks and that includes the 5700X. If you don't have the motherboard to support it (check the news about your board to see if they offer BIOS upgrade support for the 500 series) then just wait till the new CPU's drop the price of the 3700X or 3900X a little more down.

Solution
Because you're currently on R5 1600, I can highly recommend R7 3700X for what you plan to do:
  1. Difference in performance will be VERY noticeable
  2. R7 3700X price/performance ratio is "just right"

Of course, the more you pay (R9 3900X), the better you get. But at certain point you need to set a limit and ask yourself, how much you would benefit in everyday use, for paying "a bit" extra.
As Newtonius mentioned (above), new 5000 series CPUs are just around the corner. More powerful and more expensive... which would (in your case) probably require new motherboard as well -far from just "a bit extra".

Sep 16, 2020
I don't care if I render the video for 40 minutes or 20 minutes. So the R7 3700X is better for me

Reactions: Newtonius