Spineworld_23

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015
Hello,

I have an ASUS ROG Zephyrus M15 and it's semi-perfect for the fact that it has INSANE thermal throttling, which I believe is not normally occurring the way that my laptop is. On ThrottleStop, my GPU constantly has BD Prochot and thermal in yellow, and EDP other flashing red, even when there isn't an highly intensive program being used such as just using Chrome. The throttling is so bad that I cannot even run Counter-Strike: GO at more than 70 FPS consistently, with an i7-10750H and a RTX 2070 Max-Q, which is pathetic, even on my custom fan-curve, which explodes when opening a game and makes playing unbearable due to the noise. I have considered upgrading the RAM, and getting a laptop cooling pad, but the entire reason I replaced my PC with a laptop was because I no longer had a long-term dedicated space to keep a desktop and I didn't want to move it around, and if I purchase both of those things and the terrible performance remains, the purchases would of had been for nothing.

So is it worth selling the laptop and replacing it with a desktop again? Since I find that it's impossible to play games at high settings that I should be able to play them at without immense lag or unstability. My GTX 970 and 1700X performed better.

Solution
It isn't really a fair comparison between laptop and desktop equipment. As you have already noted the temps within a laptop chassis require the hardware to be "throttled" in comparison to it's desktop equivalent just such that power consumption and heat don't cause (even more) problem.

If you don't have the room for a desktop this is rather a quandary. Perhaps consider some headphones to help with the noise aspect?

The issue right this moment would be locating a 2070 or better desktop GPU for anything south of 2-3x its retail.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It isn't really a fair comparison between laptop and desktop equipment. As you have already noted the temps within a laptop chassis require the hardware to be "throttled" in comparison to it's desktop equivalent just such that power consumption and heat don't cause (even more) problem.

If you don't have the room for a desktop this is rather a quandary. Perhaps consider some headphones to help with the noise aspect?

The issue right this moment would be locating a 2070 or better desktop GPU for anything south of 2-3x its retail.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Repasting, undervolting the CPU and GPU as much as possible (perhaps even underclocking the GPU), and a laptop cooling pad are about as good as it gets for a laptop.

I mean, one option would be to get a laptop (or desktop replacement) with more substantial cooling.