[SOLVED] Is it worth replacing the Corsair HX750W (Silver) with the Corsair RM750X (Gold 2018 model)?

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
I've had the Corsair HX750W the silver version for quite a long time. I don't actually remember when I got it.
It was an RMA for a HX620, the second of that line that failed and I had to return. I must have had it for about 10 years or so..
I found the RM750X 2018 model at a very good price so I was wondering if it's worth upgrading it.
I mean I have no issues with the HX750 but I was thinking if it's a better investment to get a Gold rated one as opposed to a Silver rated that I have now.
This has to do with the prices going up for electricity and all.
Is it worth upgrading it or am I overthinking it?

For reference I game 1 hour a day give or take so not a lot but there might be times where I'll spend 2-3 hours gaming.
Most of the use is watching films/TV shows, general browsing that don't really put any strain on the CPU/GPU.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
I feel like this is the time when I'd be remiss not to say that you're entitled to make whatever purchases you'd like. A good 80+ Gold 650W PSU can be purchased for $70-$80 on sale. It obviously replaces a 10 year old PSU which is certainly getting into that age range where "better safe than sorry" can become a factor. You have to weigh those factors against your financial situation.

Unfortunately power supplies either work or they don't. They don't increase the performance of a PC. They work until they don't. There's no hard and fast rule that x PSU will guaranteed fail after y years.
The HX was a good product by 2012 standards when 80+ silver was nearly the best you could get.
The HX750W has a 7 year warranty. Make of that what you will on a scale of expected lifespan.
Lifespan also is somewhat dependent on total hours used (not just gaming) and % load on the PSU during those hours.
The HX750W is/was about 89% efficient at 50% load. 80+ gold is ~90-91% (92% being platinum). So you're not going to save a ton of money on PSU efficiency.
Your system probably pulls....350W (max) under full load. Adjusting for 90% PSU efficiency, that's 0.39KW/hr of hard/gaming usage if you want to multiply that by your electricity cost.

Personally, I'd let it ride. Not sure what these PCIe5.0 PSU stuff is going to be about, but it seems like that might trickle into the mainstream in the not-too-distant future.

If you're concerned about saving power, I'd recommend replacing any incandescent light bulbs in your house. Or keeping lights turned off unless needed. This is a cheaper alternative to buying PC components and more effective at power saving.

Last edited:
Reactions: mossi

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
The HX was a good product by 2012 standards when 80+ silver was nearly the best you could get.
The HX750W has a 7 year warranty. Make of that what you will on a scale of expected lifespan.
Lifespan also is somewhat dependent on total hours used (not just gaming) and % load on the PSU during those hours.
The HX750W is/was about 89% efficient at 50% load. 80+ gold is ~90-91% (92% being platinum). So you're not going to save a ton of money on PSU efficiency.
Your system probably pulls....350W (max) under full load. Adjusting for 90% PSU efficiency, that's 0.39KW/hr of hard/gaming usage if you want to multiply that by your electricity cost.

Personally, I'd let it ride. Not sure what these PCIe5.0 PSU stuff is going to be about, but it seems like that might trickle into the mainstream in the not-too-distant future.

If you're concerned about saving power, I'd recommend replacing any incandescent light bulbs in your house. Or keeping lights turned off unless needed. This is a cheaper alternative to buying PC components and more effective at power saving.

Thank you I was of the same mind more or less, to let it ride that is.
There is also a bit of vanity involved in the sense that I'd want something newer and/or flashier but in reality perhaps I don't need it.
I have 3 more desktops which I've replaced all their older 80plus PSUs with equivalent Gold rated ones so my wife's AMD 200GE PC has a better rated power supply :)

I feel like this is the time when I'd be remiss not to say that you're entitled to make whatever purchases you'd like. A good 80+ Gold 650W PSU can be purchased for $70-$80 on sale. It obviously replaces a 10 year old PSU which is certainly getting into that age range where "better safe than sorry" can become a factor. You have to weigh those factors against your financial situation.

Unfortunately power supplies either work or they don't. They don't increase the performance of a PC. They work until they don't. There's no hard and fast rule that x PSU will guaranteed fail after y years.

Reactions: mossi
Solution

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013

It's an interesting way to think about it for sure. I still got the old RMA emails from Corsair from when it was replaced but can't tell what ticket is what. The earliest would be 2013 although I'm pretty sure it was around 2010 when I got it as a replacement for my defective HX620.. so it's been a while definitely..!

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
Your system probably pulls....350W (max) under full load. Adjusting for 90% PSU efficiency, that's 0.39KW/hr of hard/gaming usage if you want to multiply that by your electricity cost

You got me thinking I measured it earlier and with CPU burn and Furmark stressing both CPU and GPU at 100% it reaches 314W max.. it's around 80-100W during idle.
So in theory could even do with lower wattage ie 550W.
I wouldn't really spend enough money on a 300W card anyway especially the way prices are at the moment but I think even with that it could still cope adding another 150W on top as the GTX 1070 is 150W TDP.

I measured it in the past too but couldn't remember the exact figures. And I wouldn't buy a CPU that would be over 65W anyway even if I went for the 5600X.

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
550W is fine also within the constraints you mentioned. That's what I have. IMO, 650W opens you up to more options (Intel CPU, more expensive tier GPU) over the next 10 years.

I'm too much of an AMD purist to buy an Intel CPU 🤣
I know what you mean though. I think I'll buy a new PSU at that point if I get to that point.
I've decided to go with a new PSU for my main PC (the important one!) and for the rest second hand all the way!