[SOLVED] Is it worth running High performance mode for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I was told that settings your Power management in Windows 10 to high performance is better for gaming performance. Is that true? Also, does it make your PSU work harder when it is on that setting? Should I be running a different setting? Thanks

Solution
I was told that settings your Power management in Windows 10 to high performance is better for gaming performance. Is that true?

Yes, if you play graphic demanding games, then you can select the HIGH performance mode PLAN, instead of the "balanced" mode. When not needed revert back to the "balanced" or even the "power saver" OS mode, if required.

Though, using the above high performance mode won't always help you in Games, or increase the FPS. The performance will also depend on other factors as well, GPU and CPU temp/usage, game being played, and the screen resolution applied among other factors. Though, I can't comment whether using this high mode will also make the PSU work harder.

What are you full PC specs ?

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Is it worth it for me to set my Windows 10/Nvidia control panel settings to High performance? Does this make the PSU work harder to maintain this performance?

Also, in task manager its saying destiny 2 power usage is very high but my cpu, gpu, and memory percentages are not very high. My cpu is around 15 percent, gpu is just above 40 percent and memory is around 35 percent.

I was told that settings your Power management in Windows 10 to high performance is better for gaming performance. Is that true?

Yes, if you play graphic demanding games, then you can select the HIGH performance mode PLAN, instead of the "balanced" mode. When not needed revert back to the "balanced" or even the "power saver" OS mode, if required.

Though, using the above high performance mode won't always help you in Games, or increase the FPS. The performance will also depend on other factors as well, GPU and CPU temp/usage, game being played, and the screen resolution applied among other factors. Though, I can't comment whether using this high mode will also make the PSU work harder.

Last edited:
Solution
Telling Windows to run your CPU and GPU at high just means they will run at 100% all the time. If you have games that have a hard time triggering this, it could be worth it, but that was a very old (and limited time) problem, so it is very doubtful a game/app that supports Windows 10 would need this. You are most likely just going to cause more heat to be generated, with no real gain.

Reactions: DMAN999

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019

Ryzen 2700x
Rtx 2070 super
16gb ram @ 3200 mhz
Cx750m psu

Status
Not open for further replies.