[SOLVED] Is it worth swapping in this I9-9900K?

Dec 12, 2020
I was given an Intel I9-9900K cpu yesterday and was going to immediately install it to replace my I5-8500. However, my video card is just a Geforce GTX 670. My thoughts were to keep the I9 and buy a new video card when I can later or sell the I9 and use the money to buy a new video card.

I looked at a benchmark comparison and it appears to be not a huge speed increase, but I am not well versed if there is more to this benchmark. My intent is for gaming of course. Here is the benchmark I looked up:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8500/4028vsm447884

Would I notice a significant performance increase in modern games?

Also, my motherboard is an MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, so it should support the I9.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Solution
With the new consoles being 8 cores I expect new games over the next few years to be using those cores. Today you'd probably be better off with a new graphics card, but that 9900k will show itself as a nice upgrade over that 8500, especially in the coming years.

You want better performance today, you need a newer gpu.

Having said that, I'm not an expert and I don't test components but that 9900k is a damn good chip. I'd hate to see it go.

What resolution is your screen? If it's 1080, keep the 9900k and pick up something like a 1660 super or ti. They're pretty affordable last I looked.

MorganPike

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
With the new consoles being 8 cores I expect new games over the next few years to be using those cores. Today you'd probably be better off with a new graphics card, but that 9900k will show itself as a nice upgrade over that 8500, especially in the coming years.

Having said that, I'm not an expert and I don't test components but that 9900k is a damn good chip. I'd hate to see it go.

What resolution is your screen? If it's 1080, keep the 9900k and pick up something like a 1660 super or ti. They're pretty affordable last I looked.

Solution
Dec 12, 2020

That sounds like excellent advice, thank you. I have a brand new Quadro P4000 that sells for $800 new that I don't need. I can perhaps sell that for enough to cover most of the cost of a new GPU.

the 9900K, with two extra cores and hyperthreading and higher clock speeds is quite a bit faster than an i5-8500...

(Yes, with a GTX670, you are not likely to see a massive FPS boost in average or max FPS for most games, but, perhaps minimum FPS/1% lows will be improved, and, once ditching the ~9+ year old GPU, there will be some massive gains to be had!) :)

However, your GPU is limiting you at 1080P far more than your CPU is...

Dec 12, 2020
keep the 9900K . you cant find new cards now for good prices , not until like Q1 2021 ..

Aim for RTX 3060 ti at least when the shortage is out and prices are lower.

Thanks, I have decided to do just that, I went ahead and installed the CPU this evening. I also had a Quadro P4000 video card given to me and while it is a CAD card, it is an improvement over the gtx 670. I will use that until I can buy a 3060 at a reasonable, non scalpers price.