[SOLVED] Is it worth switching 533 mhz 2 x 4gb kit for 1 x 4 gb + 2 x 2gb at 1600 mhz?

Supchic579

Prominent
Mar 17, 2019
I am buying a refurbished Dell optiplex to upgrade the powersupply and gpu. It has 1 x 4gb and 2 x 2 gb all at 1600mhz. I am worried dual channel will not work on the 3 sticks. (Or am I wrong?)

In my current pc I have 2x4gb sticks at 533mhz, is it worth switching my old RAM into the optiplex for its dual channelness?

Solution
You will need to purchase carefully if you want to upgrade the power supply and gpu of a Dell Optiplex. There are limitations and restrictions you need to research or it will cost you more than building a new system.

If your existing ram is 533Mhz, you will not be able to install it in a system that takes 1600Mhz.
You will need to purchase carefully if you want to upgrade the power supply and gpu of a Dell Optiplex. There are limitations and restrictions you need to research or it will cost you more than building a new system.

If your existing ram is 533Mhz, you will not be able to install it in a system that takes 1600Mhz.

Solution

Supchic579

Prominent
Mar 17, 2019

Thanks for clearng that up, I have checked that the power supply is enough for the RX 570 and doesn't bottleneck my CPU. Both fit in the case fine too.

Last edited: