Is it worth the upgrade...?

traviskane

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
So, right now I have a Acer AL2216W.

It's "okay" I guess. 22inch, bright, still no dead pixels, 1680 resolution.

Anyway, I'm wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade a perfectly good monitor. I'm currently building a new computer, upgrading from a Pentium 4 build I did six years ago to a i5 2500k build sporting a brand new Nvidia 560 ti. I'm going to be using this computer for gaming mostly, schoolwork after that, possibly some light photo editing.

An IPS monitor is out of the question, IF I upgrade, it's probably going to be something in the vein of a 23 or 24 inch LED backlit, 1920x1080 monitor.

So, do you guys think it would be worth the upgrade, spending $200 on a new monitor to go along with my new PC? I'm on a budget, and I'm trying to save cash where I can... but... it seems like a crime to build a brand new $1200.00 PC and not run it at 1920x1080.

What are your thoughts? Thanks guys!

Solution
If you want a "WOW" effect you need to go for an IPS monitor. Going from a TN to a TN will not get you much.

Exactly what happened to me. Went from a 17" TN to a 21" IPS (was about $500 though), and felt like I got a whole new computer. Colors just popped on the new monitor, viewing angle was super, I could shift my head and not see the colors change at all. You can find cheaper IPS monitors (I usually recommend Dell UltraSharp as a general good series regardles of size), the one I have is a higher-end model. You would need to spend more for a decent size IPS though in the 24" range. But a 22" or so would be not bad either.
If it's working and you don't have spare cash, why bother changing it. What is worth an upgrade for one is not for another. I'm happy with my 21" LCD, some aren't happy unless they get a new and larger one every year.

It's like asking if you should buy a new hat with your new jacket. Up to you.

traviskane

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
I guess it's a stupid question if I phrase it that way.

I'm wondering if an upgrade would have a "WOW" effect, versus a "meh" effect.

Spare cash at this point in my life is a bit of a joke... I've got about $100k worth of education I still have to pay for, most of which is going to come from loans. But I enjoy gaming a lot, and this computer is, as I said, the first I've built in several years.

If you want a "WOW" effect you need to go for an IPS monitor. Going from a TN to a TN will not get you much.

Exactly what happened to me. Went from a 17" TN to a 21" IPS (was about $500 though), and felt like I got a whole new computer. Colors just popped on the new monitor, viewing angle was super, I could shift my head and not see the colors change at all. You can find cheaper IPS monitors (I usually recommend Dell UltraSharp as a general good series regardles of size), the one I have is a higher-end model. You would need to spend more for a decent size IPS though in the 24" range. But a 22" or so would be not bad either.

Solution

traviskane

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
ha, ips is not in my budget right now. I might consider holding out for a while for a nice big 27 inch tn though. i would rather have the size and low response time then a smaller display with better color.