Is it worth the upgrade?

cwb50

Reputable
May 22, 2014
So I have the MSI R9-270 GAMING 2GB D5 PCIE with full warranty, so I can get all of my money back for it anytime in the next two years.... I fully intend to take it back some day and get a better one. My question is, is it worth is to upgrade to the Sapphire Radeon R9 280/280x 3GB Dual-X right now, rather than wait a couple years? I mean it will be another 50-100 bucks, but maybe it's worth it?

cwb50

Reputable
May 22, 2014
to all you naysayers.... I wasn't asking about anything other than whether an upgrade is worth it. I have everything else worked out and it doesn't concern you how I do it. What is with people on here not just answering the simple questions. For those so concerned, the salesmen who set me up with my graphics card + warranty literally told me to do this because i came about 100 bucks over my budget and he was trying to save me some money. You don't know where I bought it, you don't know the conditions of my warranty. It states that I am am credited to a full refund within two years. The warranty labels no conditions other that lack of customer satisfaction. So if I can be more satisfied, then it is a lack of customer satisfaction. Brush up on your law logic before you try to debate this with someone who made it through more than jr. high. Thanks for the help, you are all gentlemen and scholars.

Gaidax

Distinguished
Why not? Fuck the system, i say. Out of 3 MSI cards I ever had 2 died a horrible death without me doing anything like OC and such and I got only one replaced. So feel free to abuse them for me.

As to your question, if you plan on keeping whatever you buy now for a couple of years, then it makes sense to shoot for the best you can afford. 270 is pretty Meh already, so I'd definitely aim for 280X or even maybe if you can stretch yourself - custom cooled 290.

At least those will cover your behind for two years with reasonable settings.