[SOLVED] Is it worth the upgrade?

Aug 20, 2019
I've had my pc 2 years now, it's prebuilt and has minimal options for upgrades. It's an Asrock n68-gs4 FX motherboard with an AMD FX 4300 and GTX 1050 ti (bottleneck I know) and 8 GB ddr3 single-channel 1600mhz ram. I was thinking about upgrading to an AMD FX 6300 and 8gb dual channel (2x4gb) 1600mhz ram to help me get slightly better performance and reduce my bottleneck. Is it worth the upgrade as It's getting old and is struggling to run certain games as they continue getting updates like GTA V or Fortnite well.

I also cannot build or buy another pc as money is tight right now.

Would be my first time upgrading a pc, although I have a great understanding of how to uninstall/install ram, remove my CPU cooler, take off CPU picking it up from the sides gently and then putting the new one in, applying the thermal paste and putting the fan on etc.

Solution
Save as much as you can, until Christmas time, and get yourself a more modern platform, then. If you were to get something right now, this would be close, and get you in a better position, than you are now.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£48.57 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock X370M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£60.72 @ SmartTeck.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£42.78 @ Aria PC)
Total: £152.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-21 00:22 BST+0100

Another option is to scour the used market, for a 4th gen i7 or Xeon...
Aug 20, 2019
Your bottleneck is your processor, not your graphics card. Even a low end Ryzen 3 setup would be vastly superior. What is your upgrade budget?
I’m just looking for the best processor that my motherboard can handle without me having to change the Power supply. I’d say my budget is around £150 closer to Christmas

logainofhades

Titan
Save as much as you can, until Christmas time, and get yourself a more modern platform, then. If you were to get something right now, this would be close, and get you in a better position, than you are now.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock X370M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£60.72 @ SmartTeck.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£42.78 @ Aria PC)

Another option is to scour the used market, for a 4th gen i7 or Xeon 1230v3, or higher setup, but you lose upgrade path capabilty.

Solution
Aug 20, 2019

PCPartPicker Part List

Another option is to scour the used market, for a 4th gen i7 or Xeon 1230v3, or higher setup, but you lose upgrade path capabilty.
I’ll keep that in mind but if I intended to do my original upgrade, would it be worth it to delay me having to get a better pc for maybe another year or two?

I
I’ll keep that in mind but if I intended to do my original upgrade, would it be worth it to delay me having to get a better pc for maybe another year or two?
I know budget is tight but upgrading on your current motherboard is only going to give small gains. If you can get a little more then a platform upgrade is possible and will be a big upgrade. It seems like a waste of money investing in hardware for your current motherboard.

Aug 20, 2019
You can't change the CPu to an FX 6300. The motherboard does not support it. Look at that CPU support list. The only FX cpu's supported, are the FX 4xxx chips. An FX 6300 will not work.
If I went with what you suggested earlier, do you have a rough idea on how much someone should charge to install a new motherboard,cpu and ram.
I'm really not confident at changing the motherboard out as I've never even built a pc myself.

Aug 20, 2019
It's not difficult. It is like legos, for adults. Watch some tutorials, on how to build, and read the motherboard manual

I don't need to change the power supply at all? Don't actually know what it is but I believe the 1200 consumes less than the fx 4300. Also would an 1300x be compatible with that motherboard? I believe its like £20 more and has alot more peformance.

Aug 20, 2019
The 1300x does not have a lot more performance, and a 1200 can match its clock speed, with just a multiplier bump. Or just get a 2200g. What is the make/model of said power supply?
I have no clue what power supply it has, but if I'm adding a CPU with less power consumption that shouldn't matter right? Also does the motherboard you suggested have an NVME slot because I want to add windows to an SSD.

Aug 20, 2019
It does matter if the quality, of said PSU is not good. It would be a shame if said PSU is a junker, and dies, taking your new hardware with it. It can, and has happened. Yes, it has an M.2 slot, for Nvme storage.
I've had it for 2 years so far with no issues which is usually a good sign right?
It does matter if the quality, of said PSU is not good. It would be a shame if said PSU is a junker, and dies, taking your new hardware with it. It can, and has happened. Yes, it has an M.2 slot, for Nvme storage.
Something from Thermaltake. There wasn’t any branding when I took off the back panel but a small label saying thermal take on it. I’ve had the pc about 2 years.

Aug 20, 2019
Just because it has lasted this long, with no issue, doesn't necessarily make it a quality unit. I had a low end Rosewill PSU that lasted me about 2-3yrs. It died, and took my CPU, and motherboard, with it.
It was something thermal take that’s all I can say about my PSU. I don’t wanna start moving stuff around if I don’t have the parts yet.

Aug 20, 2019
Just because it has lasted this long, with no issue, doesn't necessarily make it a quality unit. I had a low end Rosewill PSU that lasted me about 2-3yrs. It died, and took my CPU, and motherboard, with it.
What PSU do you recommend for the stuff I'm going to be adding/already have
The Ryzen 3 1200
2x4gb 300mhz ram
GTX 1050TI
1TB Harddrive
2 fans for airflow

Even if your motherboard did support an FX6300 or 8300, no FX chips are really a good investment anymore due to their age and architectural flaws.

A power supply upgrade is likely a good idea. A Corsair CX450 or CX550 are 2 inexpensive options that will leave room to upgrade your GPU and CPU.

That setup above looks good. You may want to consider adding an SSD in the future to speed up the system but its not necessary.

PC building isn't difficult if you are careful and do some research first.

Aug 20, 2019
Even if your motherboard did support an FX6300 or 8300, no FX chips are really a good investment anymore.

For your PSU a Corsair CX450 or CX550 are 2 inexpensive options that will leave room to upgrade your GPU and CPU.

That setup above looks good. You may want to consider adding an SSD in the future to speed up the system.

Yeah, forgot to put in the 250gb NVME ssd I'll be adding to my build to put windows and some other startup things on there.
Thanks for all of the advice guys you've been alot of help.
Will be attempting to upgrade in a few months once I've got all the parts.

Aug 20, 2019
Even if your motherboard did support an FX6300 or 8300, no FX chips are really a good investment anymore due to their age and architectural flaws.

A power supply upgrade is likely a good idea. A Corsair CX450 or CX550 are 2 inexpensive options that will leave room to upgrade your GPU and CPU.

That setup above looks good. You may want to consider adding an SSD in the future to speed up the system but its not necessary.

Do I want the CX550 or the CX550M?

Aug 20, 2019
As I'm essentially building my own pc at this point, is it just better if I buy a case and fans if I can afford it around christmas time Instead of keeping the upgrades in the pre-built