[SOLVED] Is it worth to buy a gtx 1660ti if I have i5-2500(non k)?

HUNSTOP

Prominent
Mar 21, 2019
I don't have much money so I can't buy a new cpu top but I would like to upgrade my graphics card. I wanted a 1060 (6gb) but I think 1660ti would worth it more. But I have just an i5-2500 and I will be able to upgrade my cpu at Christmas :(. Can someone tell me if the bottleneck will be big or not? And do you think that I can buy this card with my current cpu? And the last question: with the bottleneck will I get worse or better fps than with the gtx 1060 (6gb)? Sorry for bad English! Have a nice day!!

Solution
Throw out bottleneck from your vocabulary.

It's generally a matter of:
  • which specific games are you playing?
  • what is your monitor's resolution and refresh rate?
  • does your monitor have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
That said, you can put ANY more powerful GPU in there, and you will get better performance. No CPU, and no mis-calculated concept of bottleneck, will cause any sort of decrease in performance when a more powerful video card is installed.

Ignore all bottleneck calculators. There will ALWAYS be some "weakest link" in the system, though what constitutes the weakest link might be different from one game to another.

I don't know where you're located, but in the US, it's generally not worth considering a 1060...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

That said, you can put ANY more powerful GPU in there, and you will get better performance. No CPU, and no mis-calculated concept of bottleneck, will cause any sort of decrease in performance when a more powerful video card is installed.

Ignore all bottleneck calculators. There will ALWAYS be some "weakest link" in the system, though what constitutes the weakest link might be different from one game to another.

I don't know where you're located, but in the US, it's generally not worth considering a 1060 6GB. The 1660 non-Ti is faster than the 1060 6GB, and around the same cost.

Reactions: HUNSTOP
Solution

HUNSTOP

Prominent
Mar 21, 2019

Thank you for your fast reply! :) By the Way my monitor is 60Hz and it haven't got any gsync or anything special. And I want to play a lot of games and categories for example fps, tps, mmo, strategy, Battle royale so almost everything.