Is it worth to buy GTX 1080 now?

Jul 6, 2018
Hello everyone

Is it worth to buy GTX 1080 now? I don't have enough money for the Ti version so it is the maximum that I can handle. New GPU will be working in my PC for around 4 years so I'm not sure if I should wait for the next gen.

PC Specs:
- i5 8600k
- GTX 750 Ti
- 8GB RAM
- FullHD @60Hz (planning to switch to @144Hz in a few months)

Solution
Given that you have a respectable budget card right now that plays most games "ok" I'd hold out till the new generation. Unless you have some indicator that your card is on the verge of death, you can hold out without losing game time.

Along with the 1180 expected to drop, there is a surplus of NVidia silicon sitting somewhere in a warehouse that they will probably try to move fairly soon, so that should drive prices down a bit. AMD is also planning a refresh of Polaris and 7mn Vega, which is CLAIMED to not be coming to a gaming GPU near you, could come to a gaming GPU near you. So, there are a lot of nice things on the horizon that might actually, finally, be a step up for gamers.
I'd certainly wait given that it is a big investment for you and the next generation is right around the corner. We won't know how it will affect pricing or how much performance per dollar will change.

The last gen champ a 980 Ti was slower than a 1070 and the regular 980 was only a little better than a 1060 6GB. That GTX 1080 may be little better than a $300 GPU in a few months. Depending on how the next gen pans out.

Jul 6, 2018
On the other hand this "corner" might be far away from us. We can expect that they will announce new GPU within 2 months, it will be 1180 Founders Edition probably. Gigabyte, Asus etc should send their versions to shops around November. The prices will be quite high since GDDR6 is something new, then we have to wait for 1170 and 1160 announcements which will take another few months. All in all new GPUs will be avaliable in reasonable prices around February-March.

Given that you have a respectable budget card right now that plays most games "ok" I'd hold out till the new generation. Unless you have some indicator that your card is on the verge of death, you can hold out without losing game time.

Along with the 1180 expected to drop, there is a surplus of NVidia silicon sitting somewhere in a warehouse that they will probably try to move fairly soon, so that should drive prices down a bit. AMD is also planning a refresh of Polaris and 7mn Vega, which is CLAIMED to not be coming to a gaming GPU near you, could come to a gaming GPU near you. So, there are a lot of nice things on the horizon that might actually, finally, be a step up for gamers.

Solution

Assuming there isn't another resurgence in cryptocurrency. There were already two big and drawn out price surges followed by lulls in the last two years.

Jul 6, 2018
One the other hand I found some info:

"The cost of having GDDR6 memory will no doubt be a large part of that purported price increase, especially if Nvidia end up stretching to the reported full 16GB, but it could just be Nvidia wanting a larger piece of their respective GPU pie."

Until prices and options are confirmed by nVidia. It is all speculation.