[SOLVED] Is it worth to choose 80+gold rating PSU ?

sydnew

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
I m using my PC for 24/7 using Blue Iris Home Surveillance recording, My Current PSU (XFX 650 Pro Bronze rating ) is failing me which I ve been using for almost 10 years? Should I replace my PSU with 80 Gold rating? I m currently undecided between Seasonic S12III 80+ Plus Bronze and Seasonic Core Gold GC 550 80+ Gold. The latter is 33% More Expensive. I dont think My wattage ever hit 100 watts base on my UPS reading. tnx

Specs.

Windows 10
CPU i3 4130
Motherboard Gigabyte B85M HD3
Memory 16Gb Kingston dual
Storage 1 WD Blue 1Tb and 1 WD 4TB Purple
PSU ????

PS

My average Processor Load is 20-25 base on Core Temp reading.

Solution
What are you even buying this PSU for ? Only for the build in the OP ? No GPU ? No plans to upgrade ? Then Corsair CV650 would probably one of the cheapest off your list, and it's enough.
But if you do plan to upgrade then sure, Seasonic Focus or Thermaltake GF1 (not just GF) would be better. Or Corsair CX-F if cheaper. Or Silverstone VIVA Gold (not Bronze) if even cheaper than that. Seasonic Core would probably be fine, if comparably priced to VIVA Gold too. Or just go to the Cultists PSU tier list (google it, the version on this forum is fine too but it's outdated) and look if you can see something from less popular brands out of tiers A or B there.
80 PLUS Gold is not a gauge of quality. It's merely a bade of efficiency. In other words: How much DC is produced from the AC it uses from the wall.

There are some 80 PLUS Bronze PSUs that are better "quality" than 80 PLUS Gold PSUs.... just not as efficient.

For example, the Seasonic Core is one of Seasonic's cheapest PSUs and I can think of a dozen "Bronze" PSUs that are better.

You really need to start reading some PSU reviews to better understand.

Reactions: Gerald.nsn

sydnew

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
I m really after at savings..
80 PLUS Gold is not a gauge of quality. It's merely a bade of efficiency. In other words: How much DC is produced from the AC it uses from the wall.

There are some 80 PLUS Bronze PSUs that are better "quality" than 80 PLUS Gold PSUs.... just not as efficient.

For example, the Seasonic Core is one of Seasonic's cheapest PSUs and I can think of a dozen "Bronze" PSUs that are better.

You really need to start reading some PSU reviews to better understand.
wheew that was so fast reply.... tnx

btw I m much more after how much electricity can save since Im using my PC for 24/7

I m using my PC for 24/7 using Blue Iris Home Surveillance recording, My Current PSU (XFX 650 Pro Bronze rating ) is failing me which I ve been using for almost 10 years? Should I replace my PSU with 80 Gold rating? I m currently undecided between Seasonic S12III 80+ Plus Bronze and Seasonic Core Gold GC 550 80+ Gold. The latter is 33% More Expensive. I dont think My wattage ever hit 100 watts base on my UPS reading. tnx

Specs.

Windows 10
CPU i3 4130
Motherboard Gigabyte B85M HD3
Memory 16Gb Kingston dual
Storage 1 WD Blue 1Tb and 1 WD 4TB Purple
PSU ????

PS

My average Processor Load is 20-25 base on Core Temp reading.

How sensitive are you to perhaps a 10 dollar a year difference in your electric bill?

There are variables you have little control over....your cost for electricity, build quality of the chosen PSU, bad luck, etc.

sydnew

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
How sensitive are you to perhaps a 10 dollar a year difference in your electric bill?

There are variables you have little control over....your cost for electricity, build quality of the chosen PSU, bad luck, etc.

Its been since 2015 Ive build my system. and all I know about is anything Seasonic is good PSU. does it still stand today?

Seasonic is generally good, but some Seasonics are noticeably better than others...........and will likely cost you more.

It's a trade off. Higher efficiency can help, but you wouldn't likely see a difference of 50 dollars a year in electricity cost.

You'd have to read reviews of possible PSUs regarding their efficiency and then make a judgement of how much higher efficiency would help given your cost per kwh for electricity.

And then make a judgement about build quality and how much attention you want to give that.

sydnew

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
much of the better PSU are at High end build. they tend to have higher wattage which I really did nt need. I dont even use dedicated graphic card. my cpu load is between 20-25.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
I m currently undecided between Seasonic S12III 80+ Plus Bronze and Seasonic Core Gold GC 550 80+ Gold. The latter is 33% More Expensive
The difference between these PSUs is immerse, so in this case it's totally worth it, because S12III is just junk. But generally speaking, efficiency is not an indicator of quality. And there might be something better than Seasonic Core for the money.

sydnew

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
Unlike you guys, We dont have much choices as far as country's Local Online Seller is concern. Btw This is the List of
brand that I know that is available locally. this are within my budget so I m not gonna include such as Corsair SF, RM or HX series or equivalent of other brand. Which one would you pick base on my Specs and uses (24/7 Surveillance) ?

Seasonic s12
Seasonic Focus series
Seasonic Core series

Corsair CV series
Corsair CX or CX+M series
EVGA GD series

Thermaltake Toughpower GF
Cooler Master MWE series

FSP HYDRO GD series
FSP HYPER-K series

Silverstone Viva series

I did not include brands that I think more popular in PC Case/ Cooling than PSU such as Deepcool, Zalman , or Gigabyte.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
What are you even buying this PSU for ? Only for the build in the OP ? No GPU ? No plans to upgrade ? Then Corsair CV650 would probably one of the cheapest off your list, and it's enough.
But if you do plan to upgrade then sure, Seasonic Focus or Thermaltake GF1 (not just GF) would be better. Or Corsair CX-F if cheaper. Or Silverstone VIVA Gold (not Bronze) if even cheaper than that. Seasonic Core would probably be fine, if comparably priced to VIVA Gold too. Or just go to the Cultists PSU tier list (google it, the version on this forum is fine too but it's outdated) and look if you can see something from less popular brands out of tiers A or B there.

Solution

sydnew

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
As I said in OP I m going to replace my XFX 650 which starting to have random power off (but rare). I ve been using my PC for 24/7 since 2015 as Surveillance recording called BLUE IRIS. Blue Iris is a Windows based Surveillance Software much user friendly to use than NVR, I do not plan to upgrade to dedicated GPU the iGPU is enough for graphic processing requirement. Now my question is which of the following PSU I Iist down who would give power efficiency and reliability or enough to trust it left alone when I m out of town for weeks.

@Juular
about corsair CV650 I think its a budget corsair PSU similar to VS series which I have once but died out months later. maybe I m going to choose between Seasonic core Gold or Silverstone Viva Gold.

thanks for the reply guys

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
about corsair CV650 I think its a budget corsair PSU similar to VS series which I have once but died
Corsair CV 450/550W are close to gray-label VS but better, with more robust components although it's hard to say much about reliability, and gra-label VS isn't known to be bad reliability wise either, it was the old orange-lable one. But CV 650/750W are completely different, closer to Corsair CX-M, still a budget PSU tho, yes.