[SOLVED] Is it worth to get Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut to replace Noctua NT-H1

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, I am building a workstation using Intel i9-9900K with Noctua NH-D15S. I will do some over clocking as I use DDR4-3200 RAM. Is it worth to get the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste to replace the stock NT-H1?

Solution
I was actually deciding between these 2 a couple of weeks ago after my first tube of NT-H1 ran out. TGK may be the best paste currently available, but the price/volume is garbage. Noctua is right behind it in performance for a far better value, so I bought more NT-H1.

Also, the application of the paste is more important than the quality in most cases - play around with it, if you haven't already. Even though that little instruction pamphlet that came with the cooler says to use a small drop, I discovered that applying a thin layer of paste dropped the temps on my 7820x by 3-4C! Doesn't sound like much, but it's pretty significant when overclocking.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I was actually deciding between these 2 a couple of weeks ago after my first tube of NT-H1 ran out. TGK may be the best paste currently available, but the price/volume is garbage. Noctua is right behind it in performance for a far better value, so I bought more NT-H1.

Also, the application of the paste is more important than the quality in most cases - play around with it, if you haven't already. Even though that little instruction pamphlet that came with the cooler says to use a small drop, I discovered that applying a thin layer of paste dropped the temps on my 7820x by 3-4C! Doesn't sound like much, but it's pretty significant when overclocking.

Solution

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
It seems to be that with NT-H1, we can just put a drop in the middle and let the pressure spreads the thermal paste across the area where the CPU and the heatsink meet. However, with the Kryonaut, the instruction is for the user to use a spreader that comes with it to manually spread a thin layer of paste all over the juntion. Why? How thin should that be? To that point that I can see the surface of the CPU?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Pretty much. Check this out: [video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUWVVTY63hc"][/video]

TRENDING THREADS