[SOLVED] Is it worth to invest in dedicated SSD for OS?

Radek_Skrivan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2015
Right now I have a small 250Mb SATA SSD dedicated for OS and then another SSD M.2 500Mb for games only.
I am now thinking about building a new PC and since prices of M.2 discs went down rapidly I was thinking 1TB M.2 SSD as the only active disk (I have plenty HHDs for storage data).

My only concern is that some OS operations on the background like updates or windows store actualizations may negatively affect my game loading speeds. Is this a valid concern? Should I keep the slower SSD for the OS?

Solution
I recently installed a MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro 80mm (2280-S3-M) NVMe drive into my computer and am happy with the improvement in performance I get vs. my WD Blue 7200RPM 1TB HDD. And while I got only a 256GB/240GB SSD it suits my needs but for another 65.00 US Dollars I could have gotten a 1TB drive.

Windows 10 now boots up in about 10 seconds now and that is with the UEFI BIOS set to slow boot mode. I bet if I changed it to fast boot I'd get even better start up times. Applications which were notoriously slow in the past like Face Book Messenger start up instantly now vs the several seconds it used to take.

I don't know if an NVMe was necessary for my needs, a common but larger 2.5" SSD might have been a more economical choice...

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
In a new modern system with 6 or 8 core CPU and 16GB of RAM you should not have to worry about background tasks, you will have pleny of power left for your gaming needs. 1TB NVME drive is the way to go forward... It is the new gaming system standard now since the prices went down...

I recently installed a MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro 80mm (2280-S3-M) NVMe drive into my computer and am happy with the improvement in performance I get vs. my WD Blue 7200RPM 1TB HDD. And while I got only a 256GB/240GB SSD it suits my needs but for another 65.00 US Dollars I could have gotten a 1TB drive.

Windows 10 now boots up in about 10 seconds now and that is with the UEFI BIOS set to slow boot mode. I bet if I changed it to fast boot I'd get even better start up times. Applications which were notoriously slow in the past like Face Book Messenger start up instantly now vs the several seconds it used to take.

I don't know if an NVMe was necessary for my needs, a common but larger 2.5" SSD might have been a more economical choice in my case.

Solution
Right now I have a small 250Mb SATA SSD dedicated for OS and then another SSD M.2 500Mb for games only.
I am now thinking about building a new PC and since prices of M.2 discs went down rapidly I was thinking 1TB M.2 SSD as the only active disk (I have plenty HHDs for storage data).

My only concern is that some OS operations on the background like updates or windows store actualizations may negatively affect my game loading speeds. Is this a valid concern? Should I keep the slower SSD for the OS?

Background tasks will not significantly slow down an SSD...more than likely updates would impact your internet connection before they impact an SSD. I prefer to keep my OS on a dedicated SSD and games on a separate drive just to make SSD upgrades easier...I doubt there's any real speed advantage to separate drives vs everything on one fast SSD, especialy when using an NVMe SSD.

D

Deleted member 14196

Yes! Yes! Absolutamente Yes! you need the speed and performance of an SSD, it gives old junky computers a new lease on life! make you and your computer happier.