[SOLVED] Is it worth to keep i7-6700 for the next 5 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andromedaftw

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
Hi, i currently have i7-6700, 8gb of ram, a h110m motherboard. Im planning to upgrade my motherboard to a B250F Strix (for m.2 slot and because i guess that my ports are starting to corrode), 16gb of ram, a new hard drive and a new case for 300$. Do you think its worth to upgrade that for the next 5 years? Or its more worth to upgrade to 5nm in the next 2 years. I want to spend wisely because im just a student and my budget is very limited thats why i'm predicting it for the next 5 years . Thanks

Solution
I would not change out a motherboard that is functioning just for a m.2 device.
M.2 is a size format and has nothing to do with performance.
Devices are sata or pcie. Pcie has faster sequential benchmark performance, but that is not as good as it sounds.
A sata ssd will be about as fast where it counts, namely small random I/O which is what windows does 90% of the time.
I would not use a hard drive today except for bulk sequential storage.

On a budget, keep the 6700 until it no longer does the job for you.
Who knows what your needs will be in 5 years.
Also, anything you buy today will be somewhat obsolete within a year of purchase.
Buy what you need when you need it.

Do not make decisions based on specs such as manufacturing...
If the ports are starting to corrode...I would replace the MB.

Any idea why the ports are corroding? That's not normal in my experience unless you have excessive moisture.

If the cost of the MB keep you from being able to upgrade the CPU.....so be it...you NEED a motherboard.

As far as you CPU being good for 5 years...it really depends on what GPU you are running and what games you play.

Reactions: boju

andromedaftw

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
If the ports are starting to corrode...I would replace the MB.

Any idea why the ports are corroding? That's not normal in my experience unless you have excessive moisture.

If the cost of the MB keep you from being able to upgrade the CPU.....so be it...you NEED a motherboard.

As far as you CPU being good for 5 years...it really depends on what GPU you are running and what games you play.
Uhm not totally corroding, i mean for example, i need to twist the audio jack to the port sometimes in order for it to work, and when reseating ram i feel that it is getting hard to reseat. I do vape before in my room, maybe thats one factor for moisture. the motherboard that i want to buy is asus b250F strix and cost 105$ and im using 1050 ti strix

Uhm not totally corroding, i mean for example, i need to twist the audio jack to the port sometimes in order for it to work, and when reseating ram i feel that it is getting hard to reseat. I do vape before in my room, maybe thats one factor for moisture. the motherboard that i want to buy is asus b250F strix and cost 105$ and im using 1050 ti strix
I vape like crazy and I really don't think that affects anything. lol

As far as replacing the board...for me...it depends how bad the corrosion is. If it's really minor and just surface discoloration....the board may last for years. I'd have to see it.

andromedaftw

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
I vape like crazy and I really don't think that affects anything. lol

As far as replacing the board...for me...it depends how bad the corrosion is. If it's really minor and just surface discoloration....the board may last for years. I'd have to see it.
okay guess ill just save more if i can and wait for another 2 years until 5nm becames a thing like ryzen 5 5600 since im also stuck with the ram speeds, i can only achieve 2133 with my current processor. thank you very much.

okay guess ill just save more if i can and wait for another 2 years until 5nm becames a thing like ryzen 5 5600 since im also stuck with the ram speeds, i can only achieve 2133 with my current processor. thank you very much.
You're welcome.
If the motherboard is functioning OK...I probably would run it till it dies.
I've seen some pretty ugly motherboards last a LONG time....like 25 years at least.

Reactions: andromedaftw
Devices are sata or pcie. Pcie has faster sequential benchmark performance, but that is not as good as it sounds.
A sata ssd will be about as fast where it counts, namely small random I/O which is what windows does 90% of the time.

Also, anything you buy today will be somewhat obsolete within a year of purchase.

Do not make decisions based on specs such as manufacturing technology.
Base on performance and price.
That applies to both graphics and processors.

Solution
It's fine for most games, only replace it when you feel that games start to shutter. Right now those 4C/8T CPUs are fine. What I'd worry is the fact that you're stuck on that platform as you won't have any room for improvements except by changing the motherboard.

Last edited:

andromedaftw

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015

Do not make decisions based on specs such as manufacturing technology.
Base on performance and price.
That applies to both graphics and processors.
Thank you very much for the advice, i'll be keeping my rig then until i really need upgrade. I'll just buy a ssd when its sale because my hard drive failed and im only using 250gb right now. Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS