Is it worth to upgrade 1156 motherboard?

BaltazarIX

Honorable
Jan 26, 2016
Hey, currently I'm running xeon x3440@3.8GHz, (could not achive stable 4.0GHz on my current MSI H55-p31)

I was wondering if it's worth to upgrade my motherboard to e.g. ASUS P7P55D (~50 USD cost) or even Asus P7P55D-E PREMIUM (~75 USD cost). Both options only available as used parts.

Main reasons to upgrade are:
- there is no much space for my rx 580 and CPU cooler (they are almost sticking to each other), GPU literally stick to RAM memory banks
- better CPU overclocking
- with more space better airflow
- before I read about marvell I was thinking about SATA III as another reason but now I'm aware that was a stupid idea

I'm going to use this system for 9-21 months (planned upgrade after Ryzen gen III or IV premiere)

Thanks for help in advance!

edit: another reason to change my motherboard is that for last 2 months I had problems with normal shut down of my PC. I've never encoutnered such problem. System can restart as always but when I try to shut it down, fans are still working, GPU LED is still blinking and power consumption keep up at 200W.

I know it don't have to be motherboard reason, but I tried every 'windows' related trick to fix this issue (disabling hibernate etc.). Last thing I need to try is CMOS reset.

BaltazarIX

Honorable
Jan 26, 2016

Thanks for your answer, I'm really appreciate this. I've updated my main post so maybe you will understand more why I was thinking about this and I'm still considering motherboard replacement.

edit: another reason to change my motherboard is that for last 2 months I had problems with normal shut down of my PC. I've never encoutnered such problem. System can restart as always but when I try to shut it down, fans are still working, GPU LED is still blinking and power consumption keep up at 200W.

I know it don't have to be motherboard reason, but I tried every 'windows' related trick to fix this issue (disabling hibernate etc.). Last thing I need to try is CMOS reset.

BaltazarIX

Honorable
Jan 26, 2016

Thank you for time you've spent. I'l try to reset cmos in 1-2 days and I'll post result here.

BaltazarIX

Honorable
Jan 26, 2016
Yesterday I've done CMOS reset I think. After this I had some trouble to run my PC (black screen) but after removing all sata cables and leaving with only 1 stick of RAM I've managed to boot system. Unfortunetly my PC still cannot shutdown properly