I have this PC:

CPU I5 - 6600k
Asus Z170-A MB
32GB DDR4 Corsair 2133mhz
Asus Strix GTX 980ti
1 TB SSD
3 TB HDD
650W EVGA Bronze

I mainly use this PC for gaming. I was wondering if I should go for purchasing a new PC with Ryzen 3900x, MSI or Asus x570 MB and RTX 2080ti now or I better wait.
I know its a huge upgrade compared to what I already have, but my concern is that I am choosing wrong timing for an upgrade and better techs and features are going to be released anytime soon.

I would like to mention that I am no in a hurry to upgrade, I just want to pick good enough hardware even if it was moderate to expensive but can serve me for years ahead without regretting it.

Thanks!

There is always going to be something better out there in the future, so dont upgrade unless you need to.
If your system is performing well enough, which it sounds like it is from your post, then hold out until its not.
When it fails to perform to your expectations then you should consider your upgrade.

STEVED12

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
There is always going to be something better out there in the future, so dont upgrade unless you need to.
If your system is performing well enough, which it sounds like it is from your post, then hold out until its not.
When it fails to perform to your expectations then you should consider your upgrade.

Hello Gam3r01 :)

Thanks for your answer.

It is totally true but my system performance isn't the worst nor best for me at this point, I mean it serves well but not giving the best that I wished, for certain games I have to drop some settings to have it too smooth because I have 2440p monitor with 144hz and cant get that in certain games .

It is not that v.big issue but also it is not the best. I was making some OCing and tweaks here and there trying to get the max out of it but again it is still not the best.

So what I meant is in the coming games whatever it is, I am expecting a drop in the performance so that is the main reason why I am thinking to upgrade this year but couldn't be able to pick the right timing to do so.

Hello Gam3r01 :)

Thanks for your answer.

It is totally true but my system performance isn't the worst nor best for me at this point, I mean it serves well but not giving the best that I wished, for certain games I have to drop some settings to have it too smooth because I have 2440p monitor with 144hz and cant get that in certain games .

It is not that v.big issue but also it is not the best. I was making some OCing and tweaks here and there trying to get the max out of it but again it is still not the best.

So what I meant is in the coming games whatever it is, I am expecting a drop in the performance so that is the main reason why I am thinking to upgrade this year but couldn't be able to pick the right timing to do so.

Let's say that this is one of the worst time to buy a system. I have been building systems in a local store here for the past 3 months and the last month it's been hell. Popular and good parts out of stock, Price increased (My build would have cost me 350 more If I bought it today instead of a month ago), shipping delay which isn't good for returns.

Reactions: STEVED12
If thats the case, wait until you see how these games perform on given hardware. Youll see exactly what youll need to run it the way you want, and you wont have to guess and potentially lose money in the long run.
Even if you knew exactly what the game would need, buying it ahead of then would probably just be a waste.

STEVED12

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
But with upcoming intel 10th gen release imminent. I would wait and see.
Perhaps you might even see a bit of a price war.

Yea this exactly the kind of information that I need to know! I can build now or later during 2020 but what I really need to know is if it will worth it to wait, if new parts (like that you mentioned) or technology (like for example DDR5 or something similar) are coming that could be better than what is available now and worth waiting. I am not reading or following up with such news so needed some help from you guys.

NightShade_7

Reputable
Nov 11, 2019
Yea this exactly the kind of information that I need to know! I can build now or later during 2020 but what I really need to know is if it will worth it to wait, if new parts (like that you mentioned) or technology (like for example DDR5 or something similar) are coming that could be better than what is available now and worth waiting. I am not reading or following up with such news so needed some help from you guys.

I'm only a 1080p gamer and from what i see your parts are still decent. And I think we're close to seeing the launch of not only 10th gen intel, but also 4th gen ryzen and Nvidia's RTX 3000 lineup. I think that the current gen hardware have been around in the market for a while and are also not a sizeable upgrade from your spec. So my recommendation is to wait for em. And as for DDR5, i doubt that it'll be a massive leap in performance, atleast for gaming. DDR4 kits are fairly futureproof themselves.

Edit: You would definitely need faster RAM if you do choose to go with Ryzen.

Here is one article on what we might expect:
For now, consider it rumor. Those who actually know will be under non disclosure agreements.
Another thing to consider is that a new launch is subject to initial problems.
Particularly with motherboard bios updates.
It may be difficult like the various ryzen launches or it may be smooth.
It might pay you to wait a bit before buying. OTOH, if you are looking at the top 10900K chips, there might be a run on the supply.

I would not worry about the underlying 14nm construction or pcie 4.0
Neither is an important factor in performance.

DDR5 is not likely coming to mainstream desktop systems for more than a year, and probably won't perform that much different from DDR4 at launch, so I don't expect it to be a big concern for a while, unless one is hoping to reuse their RAM with a new CPU and motherboard a few years down the line.

We will be seeing new CPUs from Intel soon though, and AMD is also expected to launch a new generation of processors later in the year. A new generation of high-end graphics cards from Nvidia is expected as well (probably in the fall), and new high-end graphics cards are also expected from AMD, which might increase competition in that space. Intel is supposed to be coming out with a line of graphics cards too, but at this time not a lot is known about when they will launch or if they will offer any high-end options this year.

STEVED12

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Thank you all for your support! I really appreciate it

based on information and recommendations given, I should not look into having a new build anytime soon then.

I will then look more into upgrading certain parts thanks to Nightshade_7 for recommending a faster RAM.

I generally find my PC isn't fast as it should be, maybe should buy better SSD than the Kingston that I have, something like EVO 860 or even EVO 970 M.2 and also upgrading the ram to faster one or try to OC it.

One more thing is the GPU, it cannot be OC'ed more than that even though temp when 100% utilized does not exceed 60 degree because i am using AIO liquid cooler for it and still it has a drop in FPS when everything is set to high or ultra so will wait for the new RTX 3000.. and yea it would be amazing to have ray tracing with 2440p and 144hz.. but hope that the other parts wont bottleneck the performance at that time.