[SOLVED] Is it worth to upgrade the CPU and the motherboard?

JaAntonio

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 13, 2019
Hello, my friend have a Ryzen 7 2700 with and asus B450-F motherboard and he thinks to upgrade to an Asus X570-E with a new Ryzen 7 3800x. For the GPU he uses a RX 5700XT, the Asus strix model. The motherboard is cause he wants to swap it because he need 3.1 usb front panel and more USB 2.0 headers to connect iCue lightning and stuff like that. Personally i told him thats not really worth it for the money and the extra performance. The ryzen 7 2700 should work just fine with the RX, and the headers could be bought for PCI adapters or something similar. The main use he gave to the PC is gaming and video editing, at 1080p 240Hz. Please made your thoughts about this.

His system:
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700
MOBO: Asus B450-F
Cooler: Corsair H115i AIO
RAM: G.SKILL 3600 CL16 Kit 32Gb.
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus SSR-650PX
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
HDD. WD Red 4TB
GPU: RX 5700XT Strix

Solution
The performance difference between the 2700 and the 3800X would actually be noticeable, but probably not worth the cost. The 2700 is still a very good CPU.

However, a motherboard upgrade wouldn't be a horrible idea. It would make a lot of sense actually. In addition to the extra ports he wants he'd get a more robust motherboard with greater upgrade potential, as well as overclocking potential if he wanted to get more performance out of the 2700. With an X570 motherboard he'd be in better shape for upgrading to the Ryzen 4000 series when they release, and that would make a lot more sense than a 2700 to a 3800X.

All that said, you aren't wrong about him being able to add the ports he wants with a single PCI-E USB controller card... it...
It sounds like they have reasons to upgrade. Whether they think it's worthwhile financially is something for them to decide. As for the RGB side, I don't care for it much. If they do then that's also their decision.

Given the extra clockspeed, cores and threads it would likely make video editing a smoother and quicker process (dependent on software used). Likewise, PCIe 4.0 SSDs might be an improvement with respect to video editing given the amount of data being read.

If they're financially able to make such an upgrade, and it provides them with the experience they're seeking, then it isn't a bad thing to do. I would personally avoid Asus at the moment given a poor run of some of their products lately, but that's just me.

Reactions: JaAntonio
The performance difference between the 2700 and the 3800X would actually be noticeable, but probably not worth the cost. The 2700 is still a very good CPU.

However, a motherboard upgrade wouldn't be a horrible idea. It would make a lot of sense actually. In addition to the extra ports he wants he'd get a more robust motherboard with greater upgrade potential, as well as overclocking potential if he wanted to get more performance out of the 2700. With an X570 motherboard he'd be in better shape for upgrading to the Ryzen 4000 series when they release, and that would make a lot more sense than a 2700 to a 3800X.

All that said, you aren't wrong about him being able to add the ports he wants with a single PCI-E USB controller card... it just isn't as fun as a motherboard upgrade.

Reactions: JaAntonio
Solution

JaAntonio

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 13, 2019
It sounds like they have reasons to upgrade. Whether they think it's worthwhile financially is something for them to decide. As for the RGB side, I don't care for it much. If they do then that's also their decision.

Given the extra clockspeed, cores and threads it would likely make video editing a smoother and quicker process (dependent on software used). Likewise, PCIe 4.0 SSDs might be an improvement with respect to video editing given the amount of data being read.

If they're financially able to make such an upgrade, and it provides them with the experience they're seeking, then it isn't a bad thing to do. I would personally avoid Asus at the moment given a poor run of some of their products lately, but that's just me.
Money for him isn't a concern so i asume there is no problem to upgrade those parts. Ill say to him to try to avoid Asus as you say.

JaAntonio

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 13, 2019

All that said, you aren't wrong about him being able to add the ports he wants with a single PCI-E USB controller card... it just isn't as fun as a motherboard upgrade.
Hahaha, true that, way funnier to change the Mobo. Yeah the 3800x will may be an improvement, but the motherboard is a trully good choice to upgrade, the CPU is kinda throw away the money having the 2700 already. More robust VRMs constructions and PCI4.0 may be something important to him in the future. I will say to him to stay with the 2700 and upgrade the motherboard to solve his connections "problems".