[SOLVED] Is it worth to wait Zen 3?

Solution
If you're buying something now, you're getting a really nice upgrade anyway with what's on the market. So the question becomes, do you just want the fastestest boy in town for the next few years or do you want to get the most bang for your buck? Because there's probably a lot of good deals going on now and in the upcoming weeks for Zen 2 processors.

Also note, if you do plan on getting a Zen 3, you're going to have to wait a while for motherboards to be compatible with it out of the box. The 500 series and some 400 series boards are compatible, but they'll require a BIOS update which you need a compatible CPU in the first place to do it. Unless you can find a board that can do without it. Either way, Zen 3 as soon as it drops isn't...

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
I would wait. No. I should've waited. I own a 16c/32t 3950X that I purchased this August. I knew about Zen 3, but I didn't believe that they would be able to pull off what they just pulled off. Now I have buyer's remorse, but its all cool.

What you can do though, is start getting the smaller parts. DDR4 RAM, CPU cooler, PSU, new case maybe, motherboard. Especially motherboard -- a lot of people are going to buy X570 motherboards and its better if you get those now instead of release before it goes out of stock.

But overall, wait if you can afford it. If you have a small or mid-range budget, I'd go Zen 2 now. What're you going to use this computer for anyway?

If you're buying something now, you're getting a really nice upgrade anyway with what's on the market. So the question becomes, do you just want the fastestest boy in town for the next few years or do you want to get the most bang for your buck? Because there's probably a lot of good deals going on now and in the upcoming weeks for Zen 2 processors.

Also note, if you do plan on getting a Zen 3, you're going to have to wait a while for motherboards to be compatible with it out of the box. The 500 series and some 400 series boards are compatible, but they'll require a BIOS update which you need a compatible CPU in the first place to do it. Unless you can find a board that can do without it. Either way, Zen 3 as soon as it drops isn't going to be straightforward to get working as you'd like if you're starting from scratch.

Solution

royalflush1993

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
I would wait. No. I should've waited. I own a 16c/32t 3950X that I purchased this August. I knew about Zen 3, but I didn't believe that they would be able to pull off what they just pulled off. Now I have buyer's remorse, but its all cool.

What you can do though, is start getting the smaller parts. DDR4 RAM, CPU cooler, PSU, new case maybe, motherboard. Especially motherboard -- a lot of people are going to buy X570 motherboards and its better if you get those now instead of release before it goes out of stock.

But overall, wait if you can afford it. If you have a small or mid-range budget, I'd go Zen 2 now. What're you going to use this computer for anyway?

I use my computer for everyday task like:

• Browsing the web
  • Watching videos on the web
  • Orginizing my pictures/videos/music
  • Sometimes editing images with GIMP
  • Occasionally, watch movies

I would prefer to buy the best performane/money hardware, but at the same time, to pay a larger amount of money and get something time-proof that I use for a long time.