Is it worth upgrade to Windows 10?

Solution
you can install from a usb drive or a dvd like normal. during set-up it will ask where to install to and you just select the empty drive or partition to install to. the rest is automated.

my set-up looks like this right now c: win 7 d: win 10 e: data (c: and e: ) are actually on the same physical drive and d: is a second smaller drive i pulled from the parts box to play around with win 10. set-up is the same as it has always been in that you simply tell it where to install to and let it do it's thing. it will detect the other windows install and set-up the dual boot menu for you. so your not actually doing anything different to get the dual boot menu. windows set-up does it for you.

you install it to a hdd, i don't know if it...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so far i am not impressed with the preview. i sure hope it goes through some major changes before final release.

it is free to try out right now, so grab a copy from MS, dual boot it with whatever you are using now and see what you think. if you're curious, hard to pass on a free preview to help decide.

as for dx12, that is in the future and we won't know anything about it until it is released and games take advantage. that is a year off before we really see it in the market so probably not a big selling point right now.

To be honest with you ive never dual booted so i dont know how to dual boot

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i have had no issues running anything so far on win 10 preview. what i liked most was how it installed ALL my devices with windows. i did not have to install anything myself. even my wifi connected printer was found and installed!! that's impressive.

make an empty partition or a hdd available and run the install disk. point it to the empty space to install and it will automatically set-up the dual boot for you. at start-up you will get a screen to select which you want to use. you can set either as default so you can turn it on and walk away and get the default choice unattended. really is that easy and takes no effort on your part. if you can install windows, you can dual boot windows :)

Oh thats cool but how do you dual boot? i kind of have an idea, am i supposed to put it on a usb with enough space and go into bios and make it boot from there?

can i put it on my usb?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can install from a usb drive or a dvd like normal. during set-up it will ask where to install to and you just select the empty drive or partition to install to. the rest is automated.

my set-up looks like this right now c: win 7 d: win 10 e: data (c: and e: ) are actually on the same physical drive and d: is a second smaller drive i pulled from the parts box to play around with win 10. set-up is the same as it has always been in that you simply tell it where to install to and let it do it's thing. it will detect the other windows install and set-up the dual boot menu for you. so your not actually doing anything different to get the dual boot menu. windows set-up does it for you.

you install it to a hdd, i don't know if it will run from a usb drive but it may, i did not try. as for how to tell it which os to boot to, you get a menu at each start-up allowing you to select which os each time. it has links on that screen to change the default os and such. so changing the os is as simple as rebooting and selecting the other os at start-up

for me either os has no issues using the data drive and can actually access the other os drive as well. but of course it won't run the programs from the other os, it can only see the files like they are data.

Solution

im gonna download it and try it out but hey i have 1 HDD and i have one smaller HDD from my old laptop can i install it on the one from my laptop?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that is actually what i am using as well. so long as it will connect to the pc, then you can use it. i am using an old 250 gb laptop sata drive i had lying around. plug it in, format it and enjoy the preview. just be VERY sure which drive is which when you install windows. obviously installing over your current windows install will delete it all. should be easy since it is a separate drive and will show as such, but just double check before clicking "yes i want to format and remove all data"

Thanks for the help man i really appreciate it, one more question do you think the windows 10 is faster than windows7-8?

McHenryB

Admirable
Windows 10 is pretty damned impressive, and getting better with each new preview. But remember that it is just a preview; anything in it can change and a new update could trash any current data. It is most definitely not recommended, at the moment, as your primary operating system. But I've a feeling that the finished article is going to be to Windows 8 as 7 was to Vista (and I'm not disparaging Windows 8 - I love it, but 10 is heading to be so much better).

im about to download it and cant wait to try it out thanks :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i see little speed difference so far. 3d mark and pc mark were almost the same as my win 7 install.

real world it is slower for me since i am struggling to figure out where everything is. took me a day and a google search to find the windows explorer just to scan the install files and see how they looked!! some of the features look interesting but it still feels to me like win 8 did. that is a mobile os i am trying to use with a keyboard and mouse.

i really don't understand why a gui change has to mean moving everything around and changing stuff for no reason. such as right clicking from the start menu and creating a desktop shortcut. that is gone for some reason and i still can't figure out how to do it from the start menu if it is possible. so far i hate it but as i get used to it more and figure out how to do things, i sure hope this changes. i prefer win 7 by a big margin right now.

yeah i felt this way with windows 8 after upgrading but now i know windows 8 more than windows7 and windows 7 confuses me sometimes lol thanks for the suggestions and help :)

AaronB75

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015
I had expected that they would make Windows 10 free to Windows 8.1 users being that a lot of what Windows 10 has is what 8.2 was going to have.

Now they're saying even if your using Windows 7 you will be able to upgrade for free.

The main reason I think Microsoft is doing this is because Windows 7 was the last Windows OS without the Windows Store. Plus lots of people that are still using Windows 7 are happy with it and don't really care about upgrading.

Microsoft wants people using the Windows store and the more people using it the more developers will likely also be developing apps for it. They don't want Windows 10 getting a slow start & being labeled another failed OS release. They want as many people off Windows 7 as they can get and it seems they are willing to give Windows 10 out as a free upgrade to do it.

Archgaull

Admirable
It's very user friendly, surprisingly. I found everything, and aside from one small bug with Windows 10 not liking the built in admin account, everything worked great. I'd still be using, if not for the lack of third party support which is to be expected considering it has yet to have a real release.