Is it worth upgrading ddr3 to ddr4

saadgamer_17

Commendable
May 25, 2016
Is it worth buying upgrading ddr3 to ddr4 ram as i am still using ddr3 ram on my skylake mb. My friend want to buy my ddr3 ram so i am thinking to upgrade to ddr4 by spednding few $$$. Also what consideration should be taken while buying ram for a gaming pc. My motherboard is h110 g combo which supports both ddr3 and ddr4 ram

Solution
What motherboard do you have?

Most likely, your motherboard does not support both, as DDR3 and DDR4 have different sockets for them, as the pins are in different places, and the 'gap' is also in a different place.

If you upgrade your RAM to DDR4 then there's a high chance you'd have to upgrade your motherboard too.

xFeaRDom

Estimable
What motherboard do you have?

Most likely, your motherboard does not support both, as DDR3 and DDR4 have different sockets for them, as the pins are in different places, and the 'gap' is also in a different place.

If you upgrade your RAM to DDR4 then there's a high chance you'd have to upgrade your motherboard too.

Solution

juanrdp

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

The MBs with DDR3 for Skylake dont support DDR4, the CPU does but no any MB as far as i known, you will need to replace also the MB.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

Pretty sure he edited that in later on, that wasn't there before.

Should've just replied with a new comment instead of updating his original one, which we don't get a notification from :heink:

juanrdp

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

But hey, i've learned something new... ive never seen before MB with both DDR3 and DDR4... :D

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

Depends really. If he uses DDR3-1600, and he upgraded to DDR4-2666 for example, it would be quite beneficial in some games. Does it justify the cost however? Don't think so.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah overall won't be much improvement to justify the cost.

BUT if you're friend is buying your ddr3 that would drop the price of the ddr4 upgrade to make it worth doing in my opinion. depending on what you sell your friend the ddr3 for, then the upgrade would be a rather cheap one overall. considering you can get 8 gb ddr4 ram for less than $40, if you sell the ddr3 for $20, then you're already halfway there :)