Question Is it worth upgrading for my situation?

KJSTRIPE

Reputable
May 23, 2015
Hi everyone!

Finally got some money saved up and now I am trying to decide if it is actually worth upgrading or not. My current rig:

I5-7500
MSI B250M Bazooka
8gb of Ram @ 2400
500GB HP 3NAND SSD
1TB HDD
A Cryorig H7 cooler
XFX RX480 8gb
Cooler Master 550 bronze certified

Currently, with my budget, I could get something like an R5 3600 and match it up with 16gb of ram and actually not lose that much money as my i5-7500 sells for a decent amount on eBay still but of course, with time the value will only get smaller. Where my question lies, is if I am I just wasting my money upgrading? I really don't game as much as I used to, I game maybe like 4 hours a month and now I spent 8+ hours a day doing a lot of multitasking and lots of spreadsheets. Will an upgrade actually help me out with my everyday work? I do notice some hiccups when I have a lot going on but it really isn't that bad..at least yet. Another option is getting an R7 2700/x but I hear a lot of hype around the 3600 so I am having a hard time deciding which one is better for my workload. Oh, and I plan on overclocking a touch since I do have the H7 and I can probably get a decent amount with that.

Thank you in advance for your help!

i personally wouldnt upgrade just yet.

intel's 11th gen 10nm should be out in late 2020 or early 2021 and that might drop the prices even more

and the ryzen 4th gen might make it even better for mid-low range prices.

basically, wait around a year till the i5 becomes REALLY outdated, then upgrade.

KJSTRIPE

Reputable
May 23, 2015
i personally wouldnt upgrade just yet.

intel's 11th gen 10nm should be out in late 2020 or early 2021 and that might drop the prices even more

and the ryzen 4th gen might make it even better for mid-low range prices.

basically, wait around a year till the i5 becomes REALLY outdated, then upgrade.
Oh ok, sounds good, when is 4th gen ryzen coming? Right now I am lucky enough to have a b450 board for free from a friend so that's why I was leaning ryzen. You think I will lose a good amount of resale value on my i5 if I wait?

Thank you

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
I would say a small upgrade to 16 GB RAM would smooth things out considering what you use your PC for.
Make sure to get an identical stick of RAM
from the same manufacturer though.

If you do upgrade to a Ryzen then the 2700X would be better as it is 8 core 16 threads as opposed to the 6 core 12 threads of the 3600.
For gaming the 3600 is slightly better though as the 3rd gen benefit from faster single core and increased IPC.

Andy

TRENDING THREADS