[SOLVED] Is it worth upgrading from 1080 OC to 2080 ti ?

aah1357

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
I play strategic games mostly (like Civ), COD Warzone about 30 minutes or so on daily basis, driving games like Dirt Rally 2.0 (sometimes), and do 3D rendering as a hobby (on daily basis) ... I have to monitors: A recently purchased Asus PA34VC (4K, 100Hz), and a MG279Q (2K, 165Hz)... depending on the purpose I use either for the intended use. The new PC I'm building is based on AMD 3950x and 32Gb of 3600MHz RAM. Current GC is an Asus GTX1080 8GB OC Edition.

Is there a need to upgrade (especially now that I have a 4K monitor) at all? Thanks.

P.S. Any alternative suggestion would also be welcomed.

Solution
For strategy games, you really do not need more.
I find that civ4 runs at a steady 60fps on a 4k monitor using a GTX1080ti.
But, for faster action games you will need the strongest available graphics card to get high frame rates on fast action games. Today, that is a Titan RTX, but it is some 3x as costly as a RTX2080ti.
Of course, worth is something only YOU can decide.
Upcoming nvidia graphics cards have unknown performance and price specs. You can count on the top cards to be very expensive and perhaps hard to find.
If you buy a RTX2080ti today, buy a EVGA card. EVGA has a free 90 day trade up option if you should find the need for a stronger card. Read the fine print on the evga web site.

For a top end build, have you compared...

aah1357

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
After reading your comment, I went on browsing the web about it. Best I could gather was a series of stretched projections (more like speculations) that Nvidia should showcase and subsequently release the cards in August and onwards. I could be dead wrong about it; I'm just relaying what I read.

For strategy games, you really do not need more.
I find that civ4 runs at a steady 60fps on a 4k monitor using a GTX1080ti.
But, for faster action games you will need the strongest available graphics card to get high frame rates on fast action games. Today, that is a Titan RTX, but it is some 3x as costly as a RTX2080ti.
Of course, worth is something only YOU can decide.
Upcoming nvidia graphics cards have unknown performance and price specs. You can count on the top cards to be very expensive and perhaps hard to find.
If you buy a RTX2080ti today, buy a EVGA card. EVGA has a free 90 day trade up option if you should find the need for a stronger card. Read the fine print on the evga web site.

For a top end build, have you compared the i9-10900K?
For gaming, the superior single thread performance might be better suited to your needs.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
After reading your comment, I went on browsing the web about it. Best I could gather was a series of stretched projections (more like speculations) that Nvidia should showcase and subsequently release the cards in August and onwards. I could be dead wrong about it; I'm just relaying what I read.
For example: https://www.gpumag.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3000-series/
This one assuming that production is starting in August, with a launch in September-October.

So yeah, can't really take any of that stuff at face value.
I'm expecting a Q4 launch, right along with Ryzen 4000, but if it launches earlier, 🆒