[SOLVED] Is it worth upgrading from an i5 8600k to an i7 9700k?

Jojjewadenius

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Hi everyone!

Right now I have the intel core i5 8600k CPU with an RTX 2070 SUPER and 32 GB RAM. I was thinking of upgrading my CPU to an i7 9700k. I whant to be able to play VR, especially boneworks. Right now, I can ply it pretty fine but with the lowest settings and still get some major frame drops. I also whant to be able to play something like cyberpunk with good fps. I have also heard that intel is better for VR, but i'm not sure.

So, is it worth upgraiding to an i7 9700k? The i9 is a bit too expensice for me, and if i swith to ryzen it may get even more expensive. But what do you guys think? Thanks in advance!

Solution
I dont really know about the thread limited thing, but thanks for the info anyways!
So the 8600K is a 6 core/6 thread(also called logical processors) processor: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-8600k-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz.html
The 9700K is also a non-hyperthreaded cpu, at 8 cores/8 threads.
The 9900K is hyperthreaded - 8 cores/16 threads.

Some of the more recent titles - for example, Fortnite, COD, Assassins Creed - can use UP TO 6-8 processors.
That's where the 8600K can be a limitation when min-maxing performance in game - I'm not at all saying the games won't be playable. The fps minimums should be a little higher with the 9700K.

It wasn't my intention to cause any...

Jojjewadenius

Prominent
May 10, 2019
I would certainly consider it a reasonable upgrade and you should be able to sell the old CPU on eBay to help cover the cost.

edit: a quick check shows your used CPU goes for around $95-150+ on eBay and it helps if you have the old box.
Tank you so much! Sadly I don't have the box but I have a few friends who may need an upgrade ;)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I dont really know about the thread limited thing, but thanks for the info anyways!
So the 8600K is a 6 core/6 thread(also called logical processors) processor: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-8600k-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz.html

Some of the more recent titles - for example, Fortnite, COD, Assassins Creed - can use UP TO 6-8 processors.
That's where the 8600K can be a limitation when min-maxing performance in game - I'm not at all saying the games won't be playable. The fps minimums should be a little higher with the 9700K.

It wasn't my intention to cause any confusion, sorry.

Solution

Jojjewadenius

Prominent
May 10, 2019

It wasn't my intention to cause any confusion, sorry.
No problem, thanks for explaining it to me :)

Reactions: Phaaze88

Latest posts