[SOLVED] is it worth upgrading from an i7-4790k to R5 2600?

Feb 1, 2019
Ok, so my scenario is really weird compared to what other users may have because of my system specs.

I am aware that the 4790k is a really good CPU still in 2019, however the problem I believe exists with my system is my ram, but im not sure if im better off just getting a new cpu and new ram which means I will be using DDR4 instead of DDR3.

My system specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k
RAM: 16 GB, DDR3 Kingston 1333 mhz (its weird because that is the base clock of my ram in bios)
GPU: Nvidia Gigabyte GTX 1060
CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 13
Case: NZXT H500i
SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB (I think)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB WD1001
HDD2: Seagate 1TB ST1001

I use my PC mainly for gaming, I originally got this i7 because I wanted and I did stream for a short time but I have no intent of doing it again, I also used to do video editing but not anymore. I just want to make sure I am running games smoothly at a consistent fps because I seem to tend to have random stutters which I think is a RAM problem.

Is it worth upgrading to have better ram aswell as a more up to date CPU? (Considering Ryzen is also cheaper to transfer over too). Also the intent I did have was DDR4 3000mhz ram which is a jump from DDR3 1300-1600 mhz

Thanks

Feb 8, 2019
I am kinda in the same boat, I currently am running a 4790k on a z97 chipset using ddr3 2400mhz ram, it is tax time and I have money burning a hole in my pocket, I really wanted to do a cpu upgrade mainly for new features on the motherboard chipsets (nvme ssd at full sped, USB 3.1). I have decided just to wait until the ryzen 3000 series launches and get the x570 board at that time, I was really considering a i7 9700k , but at it's inflated price and low availability, I think AMD will get my money this time around. Sure I could go with a x470 board and a ryzen 5 2600 until the new cpu's are launched, but im suspecting the new 570 chipset will support faster ram and pcie 4.0. The faster ddr3 does help the 4790k , but being this close to the next ryzen launch I would suggest just waiting. If your really hell bent on a upgrae, maybe try finding some 2nd hand ddr3 2400mhz for a reasonable price to get you by. The single core performance is still faster than a ryzen 5.

Supahos

Polypheme
Herald
If you can live with your system till June/July I'd get the ryzen 5 3600(x) you don't want to buy a 2600 this close to that launch with a pretty solid system or you'll feel like the poor guys who bought 7700ks a couple of months before the 8700k added 50% more performance for basically the same money

Feb 1, 2019

Sounds like a good solution but preferably I would prefer something around april as that is when my birthday is, and I am terrible at saving my money, but unless I do; I suppose if the price range for the third gen ryzens is similar to 2nd gen ones (like £150-£200) it might be worth investing.

But my mindset is currently on my ram, because its the weakest point in my system at the moment. However with a good cpu combination that can be extremely helpful

Feb 1, 2019

Whats your opinion about my ram situation though?

Supahos

Polypheme
Herald
I doubt it's hurting you much

www.userbenchmark.com

Post link it gives you at the end. Only thing that should be open is some sort of temp monitoring software for the run to see if anything overheats

Feb 8, 2019
I am kinda in the same boat, I currently am running a 4790k on a z97 chipset using ddr3 2400mhz ram, it is tax time and I have money burning a hole in my pocket, I really wanted to do a cpu upgrade mainly for new features on the motherboard chipsets (nvme ssd at full sped, USB 3.1). I have decided just to wait until the ryzen 3000 series launches and get the x570 board at that time, I was really considering a i7 9700k , but at it's inflated price and low availability, I think AMD will get my money this time around. Sure I could go with a x470 board and a ryzen 5 2600 until the new cpu's are launched, but im suspecting the new 570 chipset will support faster ram and pcie 4.0. The faster ddr3 does help the 4790k , but being this close to the next ryzen launch I would suggest just waiting. If your really hell bent on a upgrae, maybe try finding some 2nd hand ddr3 2400mhz for a reasonable price to get you by. The single core performance is still faster than a ryzen 5.

jitendrad

Upstanding
Dec 28, 2018
No I don't think upgrading to Ryzen 5 2600 will be good choice, instead of that just wait for sometime, as ryzen 3rd generation CPU's are coming soon

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS