[SOLVED] is it worth upgrading from an i7-4790k to R5 2600?

wilbarker5

Prominent
Feb 1, 2019
Ok, so my scenario is really weird compared to what other users may have because of my system specs.

I am aware that the 4790k is a really good CPU still in 2019, however the problem I believe exists with my system is my ram, but im not sure if im better off just getting a new cpu and new ram which means I will be using DDR4 instead of DDR3.

My system specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k
RAM: 16 GB, DDR3 Kingston 1333 mhz (its weird because that is the base clock of my ram in bios)
GPU: Nvidia Gigabyte GTX 1060
CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 13
Case: NZXT H500i
SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB (I think)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB WD1001
HDD2: Seagate 1TB ST1001

I use my PC mainly for gaming, I originally got this i7 because I wanted and I did stream for a short time but I have no intent of doing it again, I also used to do video editing but not anymore. I just want to make sure I am running games smoothly at a consistent fps because I seem to tend to have random stutters which I think is a RAM problem.

Is it worth upgrading to have better ram aswell as a more up to date CPU? (Considering Ryzen is also cheaper to transfer over too). Also the intent I did have was DDR4 3000mhz ram which is a jump from DDR3 1300-1600 mhz

Thanks

Solution
I am kinda in the same boat, I currently am running a 4790k on a z97 chipset using ddr3 2400mhz ram, it is tax time and I have money burning a hole in my pocket, I really wanted to do a cpu upgrade mainly for new features on the motherboard chipsets (nvme ssd at full sped, USB 3.1). I have decided just to wait until the ryzen 3000 series launches and get the x570 board at that time, I was really considering a i7 9700k , but at it's inflated price and low availability, I think AMD will get my money this time around. Sure I could go with a x470 board and a ryzen 5 2600 until the new cpu's are launched, but im suspecting the new 570 chipset will support faster ram and pcie 4.0. The faster ddr3 does help the 4790k , but being this close to...

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
If you can live with your system till June/July I'd get the ryzen 5 3600(x) you don't want to buy a 2600 this close to that launch with a pretty solid system or you'll feel like the poor guys who bought 7700ks a couple of months before the 8700k added 50% more performance for basically the same money

wilbarker5

Prominent
Feb 1, 2019

Sounds like a good solution but preferably I would prefer something around april as that is when my birthday is, and I am terrible at saving my money, but unless I do; I suppose if the price range for the third gen ryzens is similar to 2nd gen ones (like £150-£200) it might be worth investing.

But my mindset is currently on my ram, because its the weakest point in my system at the moment. However with a good cpu combination that can be extremely helpful

wilbarker5

Prominent
Feb 1, 2019

Whats your opinion about my ram situation though?

Feb 8, 2019
I am kinda in the same boat, I currently am running a 4790k on a z97 chipset using ddr3 2400mhz ram, it is tax time and I have money burning a hole in my pocket, I really wanted to do a cpu upgrade mainly for new features on the motherboard chipsets (nvme ssd at full sped, USB 3.1). I have decided just to wait until the ryzen 3000 series launches and get the x570 board at that time, I was really considering a i7 9700k , but at it's inflated price and low availability, I think AMD will get my money this time around. Sure I could go with a x470 board and a ryzen 5 2600 until the new cpu's are launched, but im suspecting the new 570 chipset will support faster ram and pcie 4.0. The faster ddr3 does help the 4790k , but being this close to the next ryzen launch I would suggest just waiting. If your really hell bent on a upgrae, maybe try finding some 2nd hand ddr3 2400mhz for a reasonable price to get you by. The single core performance is still faster than a ryzen 5.

Solution