Srag

Honorable
Dec 6, 2016
hi so recently i was thinking of upgrading ? my CPU from a I5 9400F to I9 9900K is it worth the upgrade or not

my GPU is 1660 Super / 16 GB ram / am i gonna notice any different ? in FPS ? or any noticeable difference bcz u see am playing games like (Star citizen ) and ( Icarus ) people keep telling my CPU is not good enough or i need more cores for such games ?

Bcz here is my issue i know i could just buy Core i7 12700k but that just gonna add 150$ at least to the CPU price and i do need to change my motherboard to LGA 1700 to run the cpu so that would add even more money to the range of 750$ total (CPU and motherboard )

so am kinda limited here any good suggestions ? or is it worth upgrading to i9 9900k

Solution
Your current CPU has 6 cores and no hyperthreading. the i9-9900 has 8 cores and does have hyperthreading 8/16. However your motherboard, although it states it can handle an i9-9900K, most likely will struggle to provide the power necessary to run it even without overclocking.

I think an i9-9900 at the right price, which has a 65W TDP (versus the i9-9900K with a 95W TDP), would be good upgrade to your system.

Srag

Honorable
Dec 6, 2016
You can do a test. In those games reduce the resolution, so if playing at 1080p try 720p. If your fps goes up then its your gpu limiting performance. If the fps stays about the same it is possible you are being limited by the cpu.
see here is the thing with a game like star citizen i can't tell even if i drop the graphic settings down they don't matter
but my RAM usage is all the way up to 100% i can fix that by adding ram i know but ......
my CPU usage is all the up to 100% at 3.90 Ghz

hi so recently i was thinking of upgrading ? my CPU from a I5 9400F to I9 9900K is it worth the upgrade or not
Two big benefits of the 9900K is it has more cores/threads (8 core vs. 6 core) and it can be overclocked.

So...if your work likes/needs execution threads the benefit would be notable. But to overclock you'd need an overclockable motherboard to do it. If you don't have one it would be a waste.

Srag

Honorable
Dec 6, 2016
Two big benefits of the 9900K is it has more cores/threads (8 core vs. 6 core) and it can be overclocked.

So...if your work likes/needs execution threads the benefit would be notable. But to overclock you'd need an overclockable motherboard to do it. If you don't have one it would be a waste.
my motherboard is Gigabyte b365 HD3 idk if its support overclocking or not

Srag

Honorable
Dec 6, 2016
Your minimum FPS might go up a bit, but, odds are, a 1660 Super is not going to see a significant boost in average FPS...

I'd plan your 12600K coinciding with your RTX4060! :)
i just tested with resolution change it didn't make difference bcz well its poorly optimized game and its really high demanding video game
my CPU usage was at 100%
RAM was at 100%
GPU Was at 55% to 70% at best

my GPU is 1660 Super / 16 GB ram / am i gonna notice any different ? in FPS ? or any noticeable difference bcz u see am playing games like (Star citizen ) and ( Icarus ) people keep telling my CPU is not good enough or i need more cores for such games ?

Bcz here is my issue i know i could just buy Core i7 12700k but that just gonna add 150$ at least to the CPU price and i do need to change my motherboard to LGA 1700 to run the cpu so that would add even more money to the range of 750$ total (CPU and motherboard )

so am kinda limited here any good suggestions ? or is it worth upgrading to i9 9900k
Try the free stuff first.
Get the proper bios and drivers for the mobo.
Get the proper driver for the gpu.
Work at stopping unneeded background stuff from running.

Your current CPU has 6 cores and no hyperthreading. the i9-9900 has 8 cores and does have hyperthreading 8/16. However your motherboard, although it states it can handle an i9-9900K, most likely will struggle to provide the power necessary to run it even without overclocking.

I think an i9-9900 at the right price, which has a 65W TDP (versus the i9-9900K with a 95W TDP), would be good upgrade to your system.

Solution

The performance jump is certainly worthwhile and noticeable in modern games, the 9900K is roughly twice as powerful. Not sure about a 9900K on that board though, unfortunately I can't find any technical details on the VRM setup for that board to know whether it would able to handle the 9900K.