[SOLVED] Is it worth upgrading from ddr4 to ddr5?

rulerss

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
I have a good old z490 mainboard with 16 giga ddr4 ram. Should I get another 16? Or leave it like that.

The second question would be, if I should change them all, with newer ddr5 ram? Any performance changes?

Solution
To touch on the first part of your inquiry, I would say it depends on what you are doing with the PC and what loads on the RAM are when doing so. If you are often seeing more than 50% load on your memory with everything you work with (or play) open then IMO it is worth adding more.
In the case that you have 4X slots do keep in mind that having (4) sticks on your mainboard could cause issue with RAM speed (XMP) and may cause slightly less performance in games so far as FPS.

The DDR standards you are discussing 4 vs 5 are platform hardware specific. Your motherboard and 10th or 11th gen CPU cannot use DDR5, as mentioned above.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
To touch on the first part of your inquiry, I would say it depends on what you are doing with the PC and what loads on the RAM are when doing so. If you are often seeing more than 50% load on your memory with everything you work with (or play) open then IMO it is worth adding more.
In the case that you have 4X slots do keep in mind that having (4) sticks on your mainboard could cause issue with RAM speed (XMP) and may cause slightly less performance in games so far as FPS.

The DDR standards you are discussing 4 vs 5 are platform hardware specific. Your motherboard and 10th or 11th gen CPU cannot use DDR5, as mentioned above.

Solution

rulerss

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
Thank you guys, for the answers! Yes, I know I need a new mainboard for the ddr5. But the question is, if it's worth it. From what I read, they aren't much of a performance.

I use the pc for gaming. Some say you must have 32 giga ddr4, other say 16 giga is enough. But what about the new ones, ddr5?

There is also another thing that I read about gddr6 and gddrx6. That the newer ones are unstable, because they are more sensitive to voltage. So in the case of the video card, I stick with the old gddr6.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
So far as I am aware DDR5 isn't making a huge difference in performance, yet. There have been comments made about the cost of it and the compatible motherboards but some recent shopping on my part seems to indicate that pricing is coming down.

rulerss

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
I guess we must wait and don't rush. My ddr4 has 3200mhz. It feels faster like the old 1666mhz that i had a few years back.

What about the size now? 16 or 32? Maybe newer games demand 32 ddr4?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I guess we must wait and don't rush. My ddr4 has 3200mhz. It feels faster like the old 1666mhz that i had a few years back.

What about the size now? 16 or 32? Maybe newer games demand 32 ddr4?
Only you can answer that see how much your using now most of the timec16 is enough.

Some exceptions are the few games that with windows can already use a bit over 14. Then you add a couple support programs, discord, couple of chrome tabs then 32 yes.