[SOLVED] Is it worth upgrading from i3 9100F to Ryzen 5 2600? Is it worth it for future-proof?

May 26, 2019
Hello! I was planning to "upgrade" to Ryzen 5 2600 from i3 9100F. Is it actually a upgrade from that CPU? Is it beneficial for future proofing my PC?

My current GPU is GTX 1060 and I'm planning to upgrade that too into RTX 2060 next year. Is the CPU upgrade good? A reply would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

Solution
For games or applications that can use more than four threads, yes, it is worth it. For any games that are primarily linear, and use four threads or less, especially if you don't do any recording, streaming or encoding, then no, it's not. If you stream, record, run a browser with several tabs, encode video or do any other kind of semi-heavy multitasking WHILE you game, then you would probably see SOME benefit from the R5 2600 but to be honest I'm not sure I'd spend the money on a full platform swap just to go to gain two cores and six threads.

You would be MUCH wiser to save you money and go for a Ryzen 5 3600 which has much better single core performance than the Ryzen 5 2600. That, would be worth the investment. It would be like...
For games or applications that can use more than four threads, yes, it is worth it. For any games that are primarily linear, and use four threads or less, especially if you don't do any recording, streaming or encoding, then no, it's not. If you stream, record, run a browser with several tabs, encode video or do any other kind of semi-heavy multitasking WHILE you game, then you would probably see SOME benefit from the R5 2600 but to be honest I'm not sure I'd spend the money on a full platform swap just to go to gain two cores and six threads.

You would be MUCH wiser to save you money and go for a Ryzen 5 3600 which has much better single core performance than the Ryzen 5 2600. That, would be worth the investment. It would be like upgrading to the i5-9500 plus adding six hyperthreads to it. Much closer in fact to the i7-8700 with it's six cores and twelve threads.

Solution