[SOLVED] Is it worth upgrading my CPU

Pookibrine

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
I'm thinking of upgrading my gaming pc from several years ago and in researching parts, I was confused by stats for CPUs

My current CPU - amd fx-4350 with Clockspeed of 4.2GHz and 2 physical cores

CPU i was looking at getting - AMD Ryzen 5 1600X with Clockspeed of 3.6GHz and 6 physical cores

Is it worth me upgrading despite the per core performance being significantly less, especially as it is going to be mainly a gaming PC.

PS. Just in case this helps the other uses for my PC are mainly streaming YouTube and programming.

Solution
Yes. In simple terms "more cores = more multitasking". Also YOU MUST change your motherboard your fx-4350 uses a AM3+ socket and the 1600 uses AM4 meaning you need a B450 or X470 motherboard.
You cannot compare cpu's based on clock speed. The Ryzen cpu's have much stronger cpu cores than the old FX series due to better IPC (Instructions Per clock Cycle). The 1600X would be a huge upgrade all around. You should lookup benchmarks and reviews.

momowicket

Honorable
Sep 19, 2018
Yes. In simple terms "more cores = more multitasking". Also YOU MUST change your motherboard your fx-4350 uses a AM3+ socket and the 1600 uses AM4 meaning you need a B450 or X470 motherboard.

Solution

margrave

Commendable
Apr 14, 2018
I have found that incremental upgrades are either not possible or not practical.

The new CPU needs a new motherboard.
And new RAM.
And those old drives are crap.
As is the video card.

I always found it necessary to replace everything ... so I would just buy a new box.