Question Is it worth upgrading my i5 3550 to another lga-1155 cpu ?

CalypsoIce

Reputable
Mar 10, 2016
I've got a I5-3550 cpu which is starting to give me issues on certain programs, so i have been looking to upgrade but if i want a newer cpu i need to upgrade my motherboard and ram. I found a decent upgrade for all but the price ended being 800$ which i'd rather not like to spend right now.
I looked at some older cpu's that fit my cpu and found out the i7-3770 is the best 1155 socket cpu around. So i compared on some websites and the 3770 obviously got better score but i have no idea what to read out of these scores or information.

So my question is, would it be worth it to upgrade a i5 3550 to a better 1155 cpu ? Would i see any performance boost, i'm working more on programs rather than games but i do play games aswell but i have no issues there with my 3550.

CalypsoIce

Reputable
Mar 10, 2016
Depends on your workload(s). The 3770/3770K is a stronger CPU relative to the 3550, but whether it's a viable option depends what you want it to do... and how much it'll cost you.
I mainly run into problems when working in a DAW making music, when the project gets big and has many plugins running the computer tends to freeze a couple of secs or work really slow.
It's recommended to pick a cpu with a faster single core performance, 4 to 8 physical cores.

'' An 8 core CPU (14,400) with a single core score of 1800 is probably less well suited to music production than a 6 core CPU (12,000) with a single core score of 2600, since much of what happens with audio-processing can't be computed in parallel. Ideally, you need a CPU in the Strong or Very Strong category. ''

I have no idea what this means as i am not really the right person when it comes to cpu's but hopefully it gives an idea if the 3770 is a better cpu.

I can also OC the cpu if i find the k type as my motherboard allows it easily, i'd just have to get a better fan. I'd rather spend less on a decent cpu and cooler that will be useful out this year than upgrading everything because i might sell my setup at the end of this year because i might move to a different country.

CalypsoIce

Reputable
Mar 10, 2016
If you can upgrade to the i7 version you will see a decent difference.
If the i7 is cheap, its worth doing, if the i7 is going to cost £200+ then probably not.
Thanks for the answer. I've made some offers to people selling rigs with them around me, won't go higher than £150 at most.

Barty1884

Titan
If you can find a decent enough system with the i7, keep the best of both systems (i7, highest quantity of RAM etc), reassemble the lesser of the two (i5 etc) and sell it. Your net cost should be <£100 in that case.