Question Is it worth upgrading my i7-4790k to ryzen 3000 series?

rainernk

Prominent
Mar 6, 2019
Recently, im thinking about upgrading my i7-4790k to the new ryzen 3000 series that release around July this year. I wanna ask is it worth? I mainly using my PC for gaming and a little bit doing Design Project.

Worth is something only YOU can determine.

If you have a need now, then upgrade now.
Your 4790K is still a very good processor, particularly if overclocked.

You have 8 threads and a good single thread clock rate.
For most games, the single thread clock rate is most important.
Nobody knows what next gen ryzen will bring, and at what price.
AMD has no incentive to give things away.

Your i7-4790K has 8 threads and a passmark rating of 11239 and a single thread rating of 2824. very good for gaming.
Today's 2700X for example has a passmark rating of 16986. That is when all 16 threads are fully utilized.
The single thread rating is 2193, not as good for gaming.
Expect ryzen 3000 to do better.

You might wonder just how many threads are useful to you.

Try experimenting with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

Reactions: rainernk

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
Recently, im thinking about upgrading my i7-4790k to the new ryzen 3000 series that release around July this year. I wanna ask is it worth? I mainly using my PC for gaming and a little bit doing Design Project.

That depends what GPU you have, if you have and older one, new CPU is not going to give you much in terms of gaming.

Anyway, if you think about upgrading, i would wait until that 3000 release and see. It will be best time to upgrade whole system imo. Older stuff will drop in price and the newer one will be fresh new 7nm. Keep in mind you need new mobo for ryzen cpu

Let me get my future-revealing crystal ball, as my 8-ball broke last night when someone asked me about AMD's Navi performance.

Bad sarcasm aside, if you can wait, just wait. We won't really know more than what you will until all benchmarks for the new Ry3K generation are published by reputable sites.

What will you be using the new PC for, anyway? Maybe you won't need the top of the line CPU when they're released?

Cheers!

I think it is worth it, but only if you're getting inadequate performance now with your current system, for two reasons:
  1. Its going to be a significant amount of time before the next AMD Ryzen release, as well as Intel's counter.
  2. This will be the second shift in price point per core count and I doubt it's going to change much after this for a long time. For example, this is purely speculative based on what i've heard already. The R5 mid tier variant norm will be 8 cores and 16 threads.
It's a great time for a platform upgrade if you have Intel's 3rd/4th gen hardware or older. Especially value per dollar if you opt for used 2nd gen Ryzen parts.