Question Is it worth upgrading my old PC?

iTSNoTLuCK

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
Here are my PC specs:
  • gtx 770
  • fx-8320
  • sabertooth 990fx r2.0
  • 1866mhz ddr3
The games I play are CS:GO, and GTA V, and I am looking to upgrade my gpu and I'm wondering what would be the best choice, or it would even be worth upgrading without changing the whole rig. Thanks for your help.

sgnz

Commendable
Apr 19, 2019
First of all how do the games you play run?
If you were to upgrade what would your budget be? (and currency)This would help in advising what would be your best option

iTSNoTLuCK

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
if you can find an used Rx 580 or 1060 6gb you can get some extra FPS in the aforesaid titles with your current setup.

You maybe able to run some newer titles too,albeit at
First of all how do the games you play run?
If you were to upgrade what would your budget be? (and currency)This would help in advising what would be your best option
csgo runs mostly fine on all low settings - stays above my 144hz monitor 75% of the time, gta v I can’t find a way to show my FPS but a lot of the time it isn’t smooth and feels below 60 on mostly low settings. Anything in between $200 nzd to $350 nzd

sgnz

Commendable
Apr 19, 2019
Okay for that price it's hard to reccomend anything without a complete overhaul! I'm from NZ and prices are quite high atm! Both your aging gpu and cpu will hold you back and its not really worth upgrading to a slightly better gpu when your cpu isnt capable of delivering the frames to your current gpu!

I would honestly wait for a couple of months when new ryzen processors get released and see if one of their budget offerings for ram cpu motherboard and psu sits in your budget. Or if they drop current cpu prices!

I would look at computer lounge.nz and have a look at the ryzen 3600 with compatible motherboard and ddr4 ram with a quality psu and see how much that costs. (Just for a baseline)

Its not worth spending a couple $ now for small gains to then have to spend alot more later in order to play newer games with higher requirements. (Gta and cs-go are generally light titles to play hardware wise compared to today's standards)

Last edited:
I think a GPU upgrade could improve things a bit but thats all.

For GPU Im guessing a GTX 1660 (TI or Super) will be a good component (not super cheap) but should last you a few years gaming wise and it wont require a lot of power (electrical power I mean) to work.

As for the platform I would said for a very low budget gaming rig right now (if you can find them at a good price): MSI B450 MAX (or some other B450 you can be sure it work with Rzyen 3xxx) or better B550 mobo (this ones to be available later on), a Ryzen 3 3300X 4 cores/8 threads (I don't like to recommend 4 cores in 2020 but you can upgrade later on, if necessary, using the same motherboard) and 2x8GB of DDR4 3200MHz RAM.

iTSNoTLuCK

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
Okay for that price it's hard to reccomend anything without a complete overhaul! I'm from NZ and prices are quite high atm! Both your aging gpu and cpu will hold you back and its not really worth upgrading to a slightly better gpu when your cpu isnt capable of delivering the frames to your current gpu!

I would honestly wait for a couple of months when new ryzen processors get released and see if one of their budget offerings for ram cpu motherboard and psu sits in your budget. Or if they drop current cpu prices!

I would look at computer lounge.nz and have a look at the ryzen 3600 with compatible motherboard and ddr4 ram with a quality psu and see how much that costs. (Just for a baseline)

Its not worth spending a couple $ now for small gains to then have to spend alot more later in order to play newer games with higher requirements. (Gta and cs-go are generally light titles to play hardware wise compared to today's standards)
Thanks for your help, would it be worth upgrading my gpu now for a bit better experience then later on upgrading to a ryzen 2600, 2666-3000mhz ram and a b450 mainboard? I’m thinking maybe around Christmas when there are sales for the rest of the upgrade?

iTSNoTLuCK

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
I think a GPU upgrade could improve things a bit but thats all.

For GPU Im guessing a GTX 1660 (TI or Super) will be a good component (not super cheap) but should last you a few years gaming wise and it wont require a lot of power (electrical power I mean) to work.

As for the platform I would said for a very low budget gaming rig right now (if you can find them at a good price): MSI B450 MAX (or some other B450 you can be sure it work with Rzyen 3xxx) or better B550 mobo (this ones to be available later on), a Ryzen 3 3300X 4 cores/8 threads (I don't like to recommend 4 cores in 2020 but you can upgrade later on, if necessary, using the same motherboard) and 2x8GB of DDR4 3200MHz RAM.
Thanks for the input, would it be worth upgrading to a rx 580 now then changing the other components around christmas?

iTSNoTLuCK

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
Hi guys, I'm looking to future proof my rig and get better performance in games like GTA V, GTA VI (when it comes out), and Valorant.
Here are my specs atm:
MOBO: Sabertooth 990fx R2.0
CPU: FX-8320 OC
GPU: GTX 770
RAM: G Skill Ares DDR3 1866mhz
Monitor: Kogan 144hz (overclocked to 165hz)
I was wondering what my next upgrade/s should be to improve performance in the aforesaid titles, Budget being around $400 nzd.

Lutfij

Titan
Same thread here,
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-it-worth-upgrading-my-old-pc.3611550/
well, truthfully the answer to your question will be the same. You will need to invest on a new platform, not drop more on a platform that is actually at it's limits.

Where are you located, what is your preferred site for purchase and please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU: