is it worth upgrading my other components?

xlord85

Reputable
May 21, 2014
recently i bought a 'Sapphire R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 OC TRI-X Vapor-X' but now i'm wondering if it's being held back by my motherboard/cpu/memory because in some games i seem to have low fps. like in bf4 everything was running smooth with my sapphire hd 6950 but now it seems to run less smooth with a better card, which made me confused.

atm i run with:
i5 2500k
Asus P8P67 B3
8gb (2x 4gb 1.333Mhz)

xlord85

Reputable
May 21, 2014

i did remove the drivers from Add/Remove programs before installing the newest drivers, but i will give the uninstaller mentioned there a try maybe it will make a difference :)

xlord85

Reputable
May 21, 2014

i've tried the uninstaller and managed to remove the old driver which was indeed still installed, but it did not solve the problem.
after some more searching on the web i found a discussion about using a signle card in de second PCIe 16 slot, which was what i did cause the graphicscard is to long to fit in slot 1 as the diskcase is in the way.
so i did a test with my motherboard outside my case so i could fit the graphicscard in PCIe 16_1 and after booting i started bf4 too find out my fps runs between 100 and 120 on ultra :wahoo:

after that i've ordered a new case that has more space for big graphicscards :)

xlord85

Reputable
May 21, 2014

yea that would've helped, i kinda forgot i did that and should've been one of the first things to check if it was even possible :)

o well thanks for the help and i learned a few new things to check when installing new cards.

Now that you have the card in the correct slot, I'd run through the DDU process and reinstallation of the most recent driver to ensure a clean installation. Of course, if it's now working to your satisfaction then it's not necessary but keep in mind for the future, EVERY time you upgrade the drivers, which you should do manually, uninstall using the DDU and install the new drivers in a clean format.

TRENDING THREADS