Is it worth upgrading my ram?

Alazzer

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMY16GX3M2A1866C9R
I5-4670k oced to 4.2
asus strix 970 oc
Asus Maximus hero VII

Is it worth upgrading my ddr3(not sure why but it says it's running at 1333 in task manager) my mobo can support up to ddr3 3200. Mostly just use my PC for gaming. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Solution
make sure the mb has the newest bios file. use cpu-z to check the ram speed and it xmp profile. if it running at 1333 and it rated for 1866. turn on xmp profile in the bios and you have to change the ram voltage to the xmp profile. 1.6-1.65v.
make sure the mb has the newest bios file. use cpu-z to check the ram speed and it xmp profile. if it running at 1333 and it rated for 1866. turn on xmp profile in the bios and you have to change the ram voltage to the xmp profile. 1.6-1.65v.

Solution

Khalietal

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
Tom's hardware had a very interesring article on that very subject and the outcome is so:

If you casually use your pc, do some video/image editing, but mostly stick to gaming, unless you notice a serious lack of smoothness loading and running/maintaining applications, 16 GB of RAM is plenty. Once the need really shows up, you might be at the point of PC upgrade and jump to DDR4 anyway, removing said loss of smoothness with added bandwith of the new RAM speed.

On the other hand, if you are to keep your platform running with DDR3 for the foreseeable future and you do a lot of RAM heavy video encoding/editing then adding another 16 GB or RAM wouldn't hurt.

As forthe 1333mhz it is normal. Your RAM is clocked at that speed by default bu you motherboard settings unless adjusted higher.