Question Is it worth upgrading the CPU & GPU ?

Jul 7, 2019
Hi Guys,
I purchased an Alienware Lap Top in 2013 as I am a keen gamer. Along the way I upgraded the hard drive to a 1TB SSD and the RAM to 24gb .
I'm still running the same i7-4700mq CPU and GTX765M GPU.
Just lately I have been getting slight issues with graphics in game when they are set to max . Still playable but not as silky smooth as they used to be.
The games I've been playing have been slowly improving the Graphics quality and it seems my GPU is falling behind.
Is it worth upgrading the GPU & CPU or is it time for a change?
My original thought when buying the laptop was how easy it was to upgrade, but is it worth doing for the performance gain possible?
Many Thanks for you replies in Advance
Steve
For those wishing to do a similar upgrade here are the links I've tracked down :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh8ockwbDiE&_ga=2.144304880.478372151.1562601031-89157318.1562601031

and
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...1DF1F8043A4D2050D1E01DF1F8043A4D205&FORM=VIRE

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
Even in you can replace the CPU in that system, it's likely any upgrade would require a newer generation processor and that's likely not compatible with your current motherboard. As for the graphics, assuming you can replace that, you need to keep in mind the power and thermal limitations. It's unlikely you could find a much better graphics card that does not also increase (and thereby exceed) the power and thermal limitations of your current unit.

-Wolf sends

Jul 7, 2019
Even in you can replace the CPU in that system, it's likely any upgrade would require a newer generation processor and that's likely not compatible with your current motherboard. As for the graphics, assuming you can replace that, you need to keep in mind the power and thermal limitations. It's unlikely you could find a much better graphics card that does not also increase (and thereby exceed) the power and thermal limitations of your current unit.

-Wolf sends
I had seen another cpu for sale i7-4930mx and a GPU GTX980mx was wondering if they were worth putting in?
They both have pretty good write ups .

Wolfshadw

Titan
In my opinion, going from an I7-47xx to an I7-49xx is not worth the time or effort. I'll leave that up to you. As for the graphics, you'll likely need to check the power and thermal requires for the card and see if your system can handle it (doubt it).

-Wolf sends

Jul 7, 2019

-Wolf sends
Pretty sure laptops don't allow you to upgrade the CPU and GPU.
In my opinion, going from an I7-47xx to an I7-49xx is not worth the time or effort. I'll leave that up to you. As for the graphics, you'll likely need to check the power and thermal requires for the card and see if your system can handle it (doubt it).

-Wolf sends
Sorry , Wolfshaw
I'm on here for factual feedback . Not just guessing. If you don't know, why do you feel the need to reply to my thread.
I've since found posts that state the changes I am considering have been done succesfully .