[SOLVED] Is it worth upgrading to a GTX 1050 ?

Aug 2, 2021
I have a gtx 750 ti and i think i want to upgrade it to a gtx 1050 2gb .it is worth it or should i just saving for a better one. I also have amd fx 6100 cpu will it bottleneck it?

Last edited:
Solution
After i read all of the reply i think im gonna build a new pc with am4 cpu motherboard ddr4 ram with a new psu
Do you have any suggestion for all of that that doesn't too crazy expensive?

AM4 is basically dead, so I would recommend Intel 12th gen, at this time. If you absolutely insist on AMD, then you may want to wait until their cheaper models come out. Either way, you will get a massive upgrade, though.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-5700X-Ryzen-5-5600-5500-4600G-4500-4100

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($208.90 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX GTE V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)...

mmateo928

Reputable
Oct 31, 2018
I was in a very similar predicament; I had an FX 8120 with a dated ATI graphics card, much worse than the GTX 750 Ti. In 2017 I bought the GTX 1050 2GB and I did see reasonable improvement across all games but it was very much apparent that the CPU couldn't keep up, ending up in stuttering and very inconsistent frame times.

Considering I had a similar CPU to yours up until very recently and I have the GPU you want I can roughly tell you my FPS averages in games and how it has changed with a new CPU:
  • PUBG: 40-60 with prevalent stuttering (Low settings)
  • GTA Online: 60+ in a small lobby, 25 in a full lobby (Very High settings) With new CPU: 60-80FPS Very High
  • Halo Infinite: 30-40 (Very low with lowered resolution) With new CPU: 60FPS Dynamic Resolution
  • Cyberpunk 2077: 30-40 depends on location(Low with moderate dynamic resolution)
  • Red Dead Redemption: 40 (Custom low settings with edited LOD)
  • F1 2020: 60+ (High settings) With new CPU: 100FPS High
  • Fortnite: 60+ with frametime issues regardless of graphic settings (High settings) With new CPU: 100FPS High
  • COD Black Ops Cold War: 30-35 (Very low) With new CPU: 70FPS Low
  • Forza Horizon 5: 40 (Cherry picked Low/Medium/High settings)
  • Battlefield 2042: 15 in a full game, 30 in a small game (Very low)
  • Rainbow 6 Siege: 70+ (Medium)
  • Cities Skylines: 20-30 (High) With new CPU: 80+ FPS High
  • CSGO/LOL/Dota/Valorant/Overwatch: ~100 (Low)
I completely understand if you are not in the situation to upgrade the entire system, however currently the wisest choice is to wait for the GPU prices to drop and to get the 1050 for cheaper. Don't think about buying anything better than the 1050 if you're not planning on switching the CPU, as your current system is definitely dated and you won't notice the difference.

The biggest flaw of the 1050 in 2022 is the 2GB of memory as every single new game maxes it out on low, however on a tight budget it can run almost all games at least on very low.

Aug 2, 2021
I was in a very similar predicament; I had an FX 8120 with a dated ATI graphics card, much worse than the GTX 750 Ti. In 2017 I bought the GTX 1050 2GB and I did see reasonable improvement across all games but it was very much apparent that the CPU couldn't keep up, ending up in stuttering and very inconsistent frame times.

Considering I had a similar CPU to yours up until very recently and I have the GPU you want I can roughly tell you my FPS averages in games and how it has changed with a new CPU:
  • PUBG: 40-60 with prevalent stuttering (Low settings)
  • GTA Online: 60+ in a small lobby, 25 in a full lobby (Very High settings) With new CPU: 60-80FPS Very High
  • Halo Infinite: 30-40 (Very low with lowered resolution) With new CPU: 60FPS Dynamic Resolution
  • Cyberpunk 2077: 30-40 depends on location(Low with moderate dynamic resolution)
  • Red Dead Redemption: 40 (Custom low settings with edited LOD)
  • F1 2020: 60+ (High settings) With new CPU: 100FPS High
  • Fortnite: 60+ with frametime issues regardless of graphic settings (High settings) With new CPU: 100FPS High
  • COD Black Ops Cold War: 30-35 (Very low) With new CPU: 70FPS Low
  • Forza Horizon 5: 40 (Cherry picked Low/Medium/High settings)
  • Battlefield 2042: 15 in a full game, 30 in a small game (Very low)
  • Rainbow 6 Siege: 70+ (Medium)
  • Cities Skylines: 20-30 (High) With new CPU: 80+ FPS High
  • CSGO/LOL/Dota/Valorant/Overwatch: ~100 (Low)
I completely understand if you are not in the situation to upgrade the entire system, however currently the wisest choice is to wait for the GPU prices to drop and to get the 1050 for cheaper. Don't think about buying anything better than the 1050 if you're not planning on switching the CPU, as your current system is definitely dated and you won't notice the difference.

The biggest flaw of the 1050 in 2022 is the 2GB of memory as every single new game maxes it out on low, however on a tight budget it can run almost all games at least on very low.
Sadly I just bought the used fx 6100 couple month ago for replacing my sempron cpu . But ill think ill replace that too. Even 8120 not doing a great job i think i need to get am4 cpu and a new mobo. What mobo should i use and am4 cpu for a reasonable price?

Last edited:
Worth is something only YOU can determine.
Yes, a GTX1050 would be a modest upgrade. It is perhaps 20% stronger than a GTX750ti.
It is slot powered so your psu is likely OK.
If your power supply is limited, that may restrict how strong you can go.

Then, as others have said, your FX may well be the limiting factor on games.
The cores are abysmally slow.

Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Aug 2, 2021
Worth is something only YOU can determine.
Yes, a GTX1050 would be a modest upgrade. It is perhaps 20% stronger than a GTX750ti.
It is slot powered so your psu is likely OK.
If your power supply is limited, that may restrict how strong you can go.

Then, as others have said, your FX may well be the limiting factor on games.
The cores are abysmally slow.

Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
Ok ill try that thanks

InvalidError

Titan
For such an old PC, I'd recommend considering a platform upgrade to a Ryzen 5600G or i5-12400 and use the IGP until GPU prices come back down. With prices coming down 10-20%/month, some people are even returning their GPUs for refunds to buy back at lower prices. Nvidia has even announced price cuts to help stores clear inventory buildup. The next couple of weeks could see some very nice pricing shakeup.

Reactions: spentshells

KyaraM

Admirable
Sadly I just bought the used fx 6100 couple month ago for replacing my sempron cpu . But ill think ill replace that too. Even 8120 not doing a great job i think i need to get am4 cpu and a new mobo. What mobo should i use and am4 cpu for a reasonable price?
I really hope tou didn't pay more than 20 to 50 bucks for that thing...

Grab an Intel i3-12100. Costs under 100 bucks, runs pretty much every game and will last you a couple years. MBs for them go for under 100, too. Get something like a used 1060Ti, 2060 or a 3050 with it. That would run you those newer games in nicw frame rates, too.

Aug 2, 2021
For such an old PC, I'd recommend considering a platform upgrade to a Ryzen 5600G or i5-12400 and use the IGP until GPU prices come back down. With prices coming down 10-20%/month, some people are even returning their GPUs for refunds to buy back at lower prices. Nvidia has even announced price cuts to help stores clear inventory buildup. The next couple of weeks could see some very nice pricing shakeup.
That 5600 and i5 really expensive right now here but ill think it worth the saving

Aug 2, 2021
I really hope tou didn't pay more than 20 to 50 bucks for that thing...

Grab an Intel i3-12100. Costs under 100 bucks, runs pretty much every game and will last you a couple years. MBs for them go for under 100, too. Get something like a used 1060Ti, 2060 or a 3050 with it. That would run you those newer games in nicw frame rates, too.
I have a friend that want it for pretty much the same as i bought so i could sell it to him.also 3050 seems pretty good for it price but i do hear people say that its bad it is because the rtx or other thing . Like i said im okay with 30fps so i dont mind 30 fps on that card.

KyaraM

Admirable
I have a friend that want it for pretty much the same as i bought so i could sell it to him.also 3050 seems pretty good for it price but i do hear people say that its bad it is because the rtx or other thing . Like i said im okay with 30fps so i dont mind 30 fps on that card.
It's not a bad card at all. Capable of playing pretty much all games at 60+ FPS in 1080p, often quite a bit more. As far as entry-level goes, it's pretty good. Sadly, it seems to be peiced similarly to the RX 6600, which would be a better card.

The bad card is the RX 6500 XT, which is slightly more expensive than the 1050, but should probably be enough for what you want, honestly. It shouldn't have a high power consumption, either. It's also quite a bit cheaper than the 3050, but also around 25% weaker. Still, for 30 FPS gaming, it's more than enough. Question is, how long... a 3050 would probably be a bit more future proof.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
I have a gtx 750 ti and i think i want to upgrade it to a gtx 1050 2gb .it is worth it or should i just saving for a better one. I also have amd fx 6100 cpu will it bottleneck it?

700 series is no longer supported by Nvidia on driver updates, so getting a 10 series like that 1050 would be a decent upgrade. How much ram do you have?

Aug 2, 2021
It's not a bad card at all. Capable of playing pretty much all games at 60+ FPS in 1080p, often quite a bit more. As far as entry-level goes, it's pretty good. Sadly, it seems to be peiced similarly to the RX 6600, which would be a better card.

The bad card is the RX 6500 XT, which is slightly more expensive than the 1050, but should probably be enough for what you want, honestly. It shouldn't have a high power consumption, either. It's also quite a bit cheaper than the 3050, but also around 25% weaker. Still, for 30 FPS gaming, it's more than enough. Question is, how long... a 3050 would probably be a bit more future proof.
Ill think ill stick with nvidia since i cant find amd card here