Question Is it worth upgrading to DDR4 or getting more DDR3 ram

Adaman134

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015
Hello,
Intel Core i7 4770
Dell 0KWVT8 motherboard
2x 4gb DDR3 @ 1600MHz (cpu-z says 800mhz but I assume that is for each stick)
AMD r9 290
A couple of years back I bought a Dell XPS 8700 prebuilt computer. I have upgraded the PC's graphics card and power supply only. I have an r9 290 in it currently but in games, I am still struggling to get decent frames and the PC struggles with simple tasks like having a lot of tabs open in Google Chrome. I currently have 2x 4gb DDR3 ram in the computer and am wondering if it would be worth just getting more DDR3 ram and upgrading it to 16gb.
Would this help resolve any of my issues or is it just time to upgrade the PC as a whole?
I am not sure if I can attach a file of a CPU-Z report so if any additional information is needed about the PC let me know.
Thanks

Last edited:
You cannot use DDR4 memory with your system. You would need an entirely new platform, either Intel or AMD based, to utilize the RAM standard. What kinds of games are you currently playing? Also, if you feel it may be time for some upgrades, what kind of budget are you looking at? First-Gen Haswell and the R9 290 are definitely showing their age in 2019 gaming depending on games your playing, resolution, ect. 8GB can be a bit on the "light" side as well for modern day gaming PC, but again this ties into what you are using your PC for.

Adaman134

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015
You cannot use DDR4 memory with your system. You would need an entirely new platform, either Intel or AMD based, to utilize the RAM standard. What kinds of games are you currently playing? Also, if you feel it may be time for some upgrades, what kind of budget are you looking at? First-Gen Haswell and the R9 290 are definitely showing their age in 2019 gaming depending on games your playing, resolution, ect. 8GB can be a bit on the "light" side as well for modern day gaming PC, but again this ties into what you are using your PC for.
Thank you for the reply, some games I play include Apex Legends, Anno 1800, Overwatch, and Rust. I understand the part about not being able to just upgrade the ram to DDR4 without replacing the motherboard and chip, sorry I didn't make that clear in the thread. What I was trying to get at was if it would be worth upgrading the PC to 16gb of ram or would that not increase my performance due to the other hardware in the system? It does seem like it might just be time for a new build altogether.

16GB could help a bit in memory intensive games, but far more likely you are CPU and GPU limited in modern titles going forward. Really depends on what you are looking for. Ryzen 3000 is right around the corner, so 2000 series have some great deals. Running a 2700X in my other build as well. Of course, Intel 8th and 9th gen are awesome as well. Storage and RAM have great pricing these days.