[SOLVED] Is it worth upgrading?

dincha

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
So guys a few years back i bought a pc with APU configuration with 4gb ram and that was it. Right now i concluded that this "processor" is sh*t for stuff like photoshop,blender and gaming is awful.So i decided to buy a gpu and as stupid as i was i totally forgot about bottlenecking so i got gtx 1050.And i think for the rest of my life i am not gonna be the guy who makes pc builds.

So this is the configuration right now:
  • MSI A55M-E35
  • AMD A6-6400k
  • 4GB 1866MHz RAM
  • MSI GTX 1050 AERO ITX 2G
Well, things i can do right now on this pc is just play RL (on 40fps),watch youtube,movise and work in MS office thats all that this "CPU" can do.So i was thinking myb if i replace this processor and motherboard ofc becouse this socket is so bad as well and add more ram it will be amazing.And my question will be is it worth upgrading to and old generation intel like i5-3570 or myb i5-2500 because i think i can find them for 30-50$.And if it is worth what motherboard i need for that.

Last edited:
Solution
Compared to your APU rig, they would be worth it. But they are obsolete too and finding a used board for those processors is iffy. You may want to consider a low-end Ryzen if cost is an issue. The Ryzen 3 quad core CPUs are at least as fast as the i5 Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge quad core CPUs you mentioned above. And the low end 2nd gen Ryzen boards are not any more expensive than a decent used LGA 1150 board due to their scarcity. Of course all new platforms mean moving to DDR4 RAM. Are you running Win 10?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Compared to your APU rig, they would be worth it. But they are obsolete too and finding a used board for those processors is iffy. You may want to consider a low-end Ryzen if cost is an issue. The Ryzen 3 quad core CPUs are at least as fast as the i5 Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge quad core CPUs you mentioned above. And the low end 2nd gen Ryzen boards are not any more expensive than a decent used LGA 1150 board due to their scarcity. Of course all new platforms mean moving to DDR4 RAM. Are you running Win 10?

Solution

dincha

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
Yea im using windows 10 pro.
I thought about what u said, and i will prolly use this pc for what it can do.This year im going to college and at some point i will need laptop so yea.
Thanks btw and i will ask here again for the best laptop when the time comes. :)

TRENDING THREADS