[SOLVED] Is it worth upgrading

iliusa321

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Hi

i currently own a radeon R9 280 graphics card and thinking of getting Nvidia 2060 super , will my fps in games like csgo and warframe see much improvement ? Otherwise what would you suggest upgrading to , to see more improvement

thank you in advance

Solution

iliusa321

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Sorry my apologies , shouldve put all that too

I do hope that other part are not “in a rush” to change but i got this; i5 6600K CPU , Evga 600W bronze psu , and 8gb Ram

Sorry my apologies , shouldve put all that too

I do hope that other part are not “in a rush” to change but i got this; i5 6600K CPU , Evga 600W psu , and 8gb Ram

Depending on that PSU model you might not have to change it. 600watts is enough but only if it's not a 10 years old model PSU of low quality. What is the model of that PSU?

For the RAM 8GB is just not enough anymore. There will be times where you system will try to take all that RAM and your system will lose performance because it will go use the pagefile on your drive because of the lack of RAM. When you can and if you can later change that to a 2x8GB RAM Kit :)

iliusa321

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Depending on that PSU model you might not have to change it. 600watts is enough but only if it's not a 10 years old model PSU of low quality. What is the model of that PSU?

For the RAM 8GB is just not enough anymore. There will be times where you system will try to take all that RAM and your system will lose performance because it will go use the pagefile on your drive because of the lack of RAM. When you can and if you can later change that to a 2x8GB RAM Kit :)
Thanks for the quick reply im not sure how to tell the model i bought it about 4/5 years ago, on my amazon order it says Evga 600 B 80 plus bronze power supply. Dunno if that tells you much. And i should be able to afford another 2x8gb ram to it

iliusa321

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015

Also would you suggest having 2 8gb or if i just add another 2 4gb so it would be 4x4gb ram

Thanks for the quick reply im not sure how to tell the model i bought it about 4/5 years ago, on my amazon order it says Evga 600 B 80 plus bronze power supply. Dunno if that tells you much. And i should be able to afford another 2x8gb ram to it

It should work but It's taking a risk. That 4-5 years PSU is in the TIER D PSU. Meaning it's not really a good model and it was already not that good 5 years ago. It did the job well for you in that time but if you keep using that PSU at one point it will just die and when it does it could damage your hardware.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but I would totally change that PSU to a good quality PSU from a well known brand and a good model. If you want recommendation let me know. You can use that PSU for now but I would replace it later as soon as possible :)

Mixing RAM is not a good idea either. If you upgrade your RAM remove the old and use the new only. 2x8GB would be best. Mixing RAM can just give you issues you don't want.

iliusa321

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
It should work but It's taking a risk. That 4-5 years PSU is in the TIER D PSU. Meaning it's not really a good model and it was already not that good 5 years ago. It did the job well for you in that time but if you keep using that PSU at one point it will just die and when it does it could damage your hardware.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but I would totally change that PSU to a good quality PSU from a well known brand and a good model. If you want recommendation let me know. You can use that PSU for now but I would replace it later as soon as possible :)

Mixing RAM is not a good idea either. If you upgrade your RAM remove the old and use the new only. 2x8GB would be best. Mixing RAM can just give you issues you don't want.
Ahh aweome! If you dont mind could you please recommend a PSU , and ill have a look what can be done. And okay got you! Ill change it up to 2x8gb

Reactions: iliusa321
Solution

iliusa321

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $172.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-14 20:35 EDT-0400

I'd like to recommend you a cheaper PSU but I couldn't. This is the bare minimum I would recommend. let's see if anyone can recommend you one cheaper.
Awesome ! That is cheaper than i thought, and would that last me quite a while with this psu?

iliusa321

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Best Buy)

I'd like to recommend you a cheaper PSU but I couldn't. This is the bare minimum I would recommend. let's see if anyone can recommend you one cheaper.
Also sorry for being a pain , when looking in amazon and i put RTX 2060 super it comes up with gigabyte version, nvidia , asus. Is there any difference because the gigabyte version is much cheaper than the other two. What do you suggest

iliusa321

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
PCPartPicker Part List

ive read that it doesnt really matter as its the same thing just under different brand name , so if i get the one branded gigabyte i should be fine as its about £35 cheaper to nvidia branded. But still rtx 2060 super

ive read that it doesnt really matter as its the same thing just under different brand name , so if i get the one branded gigabyte i should be fine as its about £35 cheaper to nvidia branded. But still rtx 2060 super

It matter for the cooling solution. Some of them have better heatsink and fan. The boost speed can be different too. Can you link the one you want to buy from PCPARTPICKER? That GPU should still be fine.

Wicked , thank you so much! Its all been ordered ! And cant wait to give it a go, do you think i should replace my cpu anytime soon , as i was thinking maybe saving for amd Ryzen 5?

Well your CPU is a 4 cores 4 threads CPU. You obviously should change your CPU later :D

If you go for a Ryzen you could wait for the Ryzen 4000 series coming out this year or a Ryzen 3700X could be a nice upgrade for you. If you do change the CPU you will need a new motherboard and RAM :)

iliusa321

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Well your CPU is a 4 cores 4 threads CPU. You obviously should change your CPU later :D

If you go for a Ryzen you could wait for the Ryzen 4000 series coming out this year or a Ryzen 3700X could be a nice upgrade for you. If you do change the CPU you will need a new motherboard and RAM :)
Ahh i see okay, usually new releases are a bit too expensive 😂 i would need to look at something around £350 £400 budget. And you mean id probably need 2x16gb ram?

JadeHarley

Reputable
May 11, 2018
Wowza, such a cute thread, good job Nemesia

But yeah,

would it be worth upgrading to ryzen 5 from my i5?
it worth because you have RTX2060 Super, good RAM and will have Ryzen 5, it will be the best decision if you don't like to spend 10000$ for gaming PC, Ryzen 5 2600 probably. I mean I did the same upgrade as you, from i5 4 cores 4 threads to Ryzen 5 2600 +RTX2060, and now I'm feeling pretty well with it, can play anything I wanted and like, chill.

Reactions: iliusa321

iliusa321

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Wowza, such a cute thread, good job Nemesia

But yeah,

it worth because you have RTX2060 Super, good RAM and will have Ryzen 5, it will be the best decision if you don't like to spend 10000$ for gaming PC, Ryzen 5 2600 probably. I mean I did the same upgrade as you, from i5 4 cores 4 threads to Ryzen 5 2600 +RTX2060, and now I'm feeling pretty well with it, can play anything I wanted and like, chill.
Ah i see thats cool! I have looked and Ryzen 9 3900x it is still withing my budget would that be a better option ? Cause my budget would be £350 £400 maybe could stretch to £500. So if you have a recommendation for something better id be happy to have a look! Thank you for the reply!

TRENDING THREADS