[SOLVED] Is it worth using Carbonaut or Kryonaut on a non k i7 6700?

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
I am using the non k version of the i7 6700. In certain games like RDR2 I can see my temps go as high as 80 degrees Celsius in certain areas of the game.

Would it be worth it to try Carbonaut or Kryonaut? Would it work with the stock Intel cooler?

Also what would be a good cooler to use? I am not looking to spend like $80-$90 on a cooler. I plan to upgrade to a Ryzen CPU in 6 months or so with a new compatible mortherboard. So I am looking for a cooler that functions like the Intel stock cooler. Nothing elaborate or fancy.

Would it be worth upgrading the cooler to something like this or should I just keep using the old intel stock cooler with the Carbonaut or Kryonaut?

I have had the i7 6700 since 2016. So it's about 5 years old now. I think it could use some new thermal paste or something.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64 bit
ASUS H170 Pro Gaming MOBO
i7 6700
32GB DDR4 RAM (dual channel)
RTX 2070 Super
1 120 GB Mushkin SSD (OS, drivers and so on) ,1 Samsung 860 QVO 2TB SSD, 1 Samsung QVO 4TB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 750 80+ gold 750 watt fully modular
Fractal R5 case

Even the best paste will only help so much. While you may see a couple degree difference, it's probably not worth the cost.

A good budget cooler, like the 2 listed above would be way more beneficial. And could be transferred over to your new cpu when you do upgrade.

I really do like kryonaut, and it's my go to paste. But it's not going to help with the stock cooler much.

Reactions: n00bguy84

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
Even the best paste will only help so much. While you may see a couple degree difference, it's probably not worth the cost.

A good budget cooler, like the 2 listed above would be way more beneficial. And could be transferred over to your new cpu when you do upgrade.

I really do like kryonaut, and it's my go to paste. But it's not going to help with the stock cooler much.

Do you think any of those coolers will fit in my case? It's a full sized case. Also how quiet are they? I was looking at some CPU coolers from Be Quiet.