[SOLVED] Is it worth using the BT HomeHub 5 as my modem?

Zooka128

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
I'm struggling a little bit to find a highly recommended ADSL modem (that works in the UK with BT) to go with the new expensive router I'm buying, so I was wondering whether the BT HomeHub 5 can serve as a good modem? I've read that a lot of people just switch off the WiFi on the HomeHub and use it as their modem, but I was wondering how good it actually is as a modem?

Solution
So the plan is "two-fold":

First plan -

ISP --- ADSL cable --> BT Home Hub 5 ----> [WAN port] Archer AX11000 [LAN ports] ---> Wired devices and wireless> wireless devices. With BT Home Hub 5's router functions disabled.

Second plan -

Replace the BT Home Hub 5 with some other desired/recommended ASDL modem.

Probably another ASDL modem will not offer much more in the way of features and functions.

And certainly not speed or performance if there is some other limiting factor in the overall connections.

However, that all said, I will defer to those in the UK who know the various ISP companies and supported product lines.

That is one thing to be sure about. If you provide your own device be sure that it is on the ISP's...

Ralston18

Titan
What router (make and model) did you purchase?

First google "BT HomeHub 5" and look for reviews by professional reviewers and verified buyers.

Second, go to BT's website and look for the applicable User Guide/Manual for the HomeHub 5.

Third, read the manual to learn more about the product, its' installation, connectivity, and configuration options.

Forums and FAQs are sometimes helpful. Just look for what is not said as well as is said....

Zooka128

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
What router (make and model) did you purchase?

First google "BT HomeHub 5" and look for reviews by professional reviewers and verified buyers.

Second, go to BT's website and look for the applicable User Guide/Manual for the HomeHub 5.

Third, read the manual to learn more about the product, its' installation, connectivity, and configuration options.

Forums and FAQs are sometimes helpful. Just look for what is not said as well as is said....
  1. I purchased TP-LINK Archer AX-11000.
  2. That was why I asked here, I had trouble finding any reviews of the BT HomeHub 5 as a modem, mainly just how-to guides.
  3. It's not knowing how to do it, but rather how well the BT HomeHub 5 actually works. The router hasn't arrived yet so I was wondering whether to bother waiting until it arrived and using the HomeHub 5 in case I had to wait several more days for a modem to arrive if it didn't work as expected.

I appreciate the reply, though, thanks :)

Ralston18

Titan
So the plan is "two-fold":

First plan -

ISP --- ADSL cable --> BT Home Hub 5 ----> [WAN port] Archer AX11000 [LAN ports] ---> Wired devices and wireless> wireless devices. With BT Home Hub 5's router functions disabled.

Second plan -

Replace the BT Home Hub 5 with some other desired/recommended ASDL modem.

Probably another ASDL modem will not offer much more in the way of features and functions.

And certainly not speed or performance if there is some other limiting factor in the overall connections.

However, that all said, I will defer to those in the UK who know the various ISP companies and supported product lines.

That is one thing to be sure about. If you provide your own device be sure that it is on the ISP's approved list. If not supported, then any problems are likely left to you to resolve.

Solution